Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge Your Car" problem in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never paid CYC prices using my Polar card at a CYC. I always pay the Polar price.

Well, I can't speak from personal experience as I'm not a PolarPlus subscriber, but I encounter many people grumbling on forums that they've been overcharged and Polar customer support tell them they should have looked at the online map for the prices.

Here's an example CYC point as shown on the PolarPlus map with non-Polar pricing.

polar.png

Quite a lot of CYC points are free, so the PolarPlus price or the CYC price would be the same; possibly there are some where the PolarPlus price and the CYC price are different.

Not to be confused of course with the PolarPlus vs PolarInstant prices which are different again (and PolarInstant not usable at CYC sites).

I guess in that instance you have to pay what the vendor is charging. I wouldn't expect to use Ecotricity chargers for the price of Polar if my card worked on them, just bill me the Ecotricity rate but off the one Polar account.

My point was more around the fact I only have 1 card that seems to work on most chargers, CYC, Polar, PodPoint and the various other 3rd parties.

Ended up opening a free account with Revolut, which got me a UK IBAN. Managed to finish setting up my CYC account using that. ;)
Now I'm left wondering if I should get the RFID card for 20 + 10 (postage) GBP or not. I guess I should, just to be sure (expecting mobile coverage in Scotland not be 100% everywhere).

My point was more around the fact I only have 1 card that seems to work on most chargers, CYC, Polar, PodPoint and the various other 3rd parties.

It works on Polar and CYC.

Podpoint now don't use RFID cards at all (apart from a few unmaintained obsolete posts which will sometimes work with any card from any provider). Geniepoint can take a Polar card for identification if you register it with them, but you are paying through a Geniepoint account and only using the Polar card to identify yourself - again you could use any card for this purpose. Ecotricity no longer use RFID on their rapid chargers. TheNewMotion are keen on RFID, but Polar cards won't work there (they used to have a roaming arrangement with CYC, but Chargemaster terminated it after the takeover). Instavolt and Engenie use bank credit/debit cards rather than private RFID, so Polar card won't work there.

• Informative
Reactions: _Alex_