Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged for upgrade that I didn’t purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I was charged for the 8,000 self driving package and I didn’t order it and I don’t want it. Has anyone been able to easily resolve this. It’s proving difficult to get contact back from Tesla. I did speak with someone once at the 800 number and he was very knowledgeable and seemed like a great guy. I sent him some info and he was going to send it up the chain. I’m hoping this will get resolved without issues but wondered about others experience.

Hey all,
I was charged for the 8,000 self driving package and I didn’t order it and I don’t want it. Has anyone been able to easily resolve this. It’s proving difficult to get contact back from Tesla. I did speak with someone once at the 800 number and he was very knowledgeable and seemed like a great guy. I sent him some info and he was going to send it up the chain. I’m hoping this will get resolved without issues but wondered about others experience.

Hopefully, it gets resolved quickly in your favor.

But how did the purchase happen? The only way to order FSD is either by going into your Tesla app and selecting upgrades and confirming the purchase or doing the same on your Tesla.com account. So how did it get ordered by mistake?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Hey all,

"you were charged for it and dont want it"....

Did you buy the car new, or used? How long have you had the car? Who else has access to your tesla? Do you not have credit card receipts to show when this was purchased and how?

None of this is any of our business, but there is a LOT of information missing here, that goes along with "I was charged and dont want it"... especially since you joined today to basically make this post.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Hey all,
In the Tesla app it says "You have up to 48 hours after purchasing to request a full refund. A refund can only be requested once per upgrade."

just like 'butt dialing', folks have 'butt updated' their Teslas unintentionally. Due to the multiple outcries, Tesla added the 48 hour refund policy, but it doesn't seem to be enough of a grace window unless you monitor your credit card continuously

Reactions: Drax
just like 'butt dialing', folks have 'butt updated' their Teslas unintentionally. Due to the multiple outcries, Tesla added the 48 hour refund policy, but it doesn't seem to be enough of a grace window unless you monitor your credit card continuously
Why didn't they just add a requirement to re-enter the password or some other butt-proof, child-proof method of authenticating an $8,000 purchase request? It would seem like a straightforward solution, unless there is some benefit of temporary purchases (maybe shifting revenue between quarters, purchased in previous quarter, refunded next quarter), or some percentage of butt-upgrades doesn't ask for refunds?

Last edited: