Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged twice for a charge at a Super Charger - can't get refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day, I logged into my Tesla account to check on FSD prices and saw a warning message that my account had a balance due. Thinking nothing of it, I updated my credit card and the warning went away. When I looked into it further, I can see the prior card actually did get charged and now I can see that I've twice (on two cards) for a single charge station. Sent Tesla a few emails but nobody seems to respond. I'd hate to have to issue a chargeback or wait on hold for something so small... has anyone had any experience with this?

QrpWLiv

Tesla owes me about $30. I finally gave up. It is MUCH easier to earn that $30 than to get my money back from Tesla.

Sure it's not a big amount but it's a matter of principle too. It's not acceptable to double charge for a service.

Dispute the charge with your credit card company. They will refund you right away.

Yea, I will probably end up doing that. Just trying to avoid it for the time being.

I'm not sure disputing the charge with your credit card company is a good idea. You'll get the money back, but I bet Tesla will disable supercharging on your account. You think you were double charged, but unless Tesla agrees, they'll probably see it as you stealing from them.

Shouldn't be any issue, provided the double billing is documented.
Note: Dispute on the old card, not the new card.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and rtprime
When you do a chargeback, there are consequences to the vendor, including expensive ($20-$100) non-refundable fees and potentially higher card processing rates.

So companies don't take chargebacks lying down. They have the right to dispute the chargeback. Not sure what Tesla does, but if a Playstation user files a chargeback, Sony terminates the account and permanently bans the user.

If the chargeback is successfully disputed by the vendor, you're going to be liable for the original charge and administrative fees.

That seems unlikely. Have you heard of Tesla doing such a thing?

Nonsense. Dispute the charge, no one should waste their time on hold or waiting weeks for emails. I had an issue with the store and they never replied after 10 emails and three months. CC reversed the charge. Also similar issue with SC charges, disputed and cleared. If Tesla can't respond in months I won't be holding on the phone for an hour. Dispute as a double charge, they won't care. If your charges are on an Amex they will just remove it if under $25 and never contact Tesla.

When you do a chargeback, there are consequences to the vendor, including expensive ($20-$100) non-refundable fees and potentially higher card processing rates.

So companies don't take chargebacks lying down. They have the right to dispute the chargeback. Not sure what Tesla does, but if a Playstation user files a chargeback, Sony terminates the account and permanently bans the user.

If the chargeback is successfully disputed by the vendor, you're going to be liable for the original charge and administrative fees.

In the same way, a vendor cannot incorrectly charge you, not respond to you for days on end and/or provide a way to easily remedy the situation.

In the same way, a vendor cannot incorrectly charge you, not respond to you for days on end and/or provide a way to easily remedy the situation.

Tesla also has the ability to respond and remedy the situation which they do not seem to do. It would be easier if they just did what they should do. In addition I have never heard of being liable for administrative fess on a chargeback, they just deny the chargeback.

Did both charges actually fully post to both accounts or do they show as "pending" when checking your statements online? If one of them still shows as pending, then give it a few days to see if it doesn't just correct itself. Besides, you wouldn't even be able to initiate a chargeback until the charge is finalized.

Did both charges actually fully post to both accounts or do they show as "pending" when checking your statements online? If one of them still shows as pending, then give it a few days to see if it doesn't just correct itself. Besides, you wouldn't even be able to initiate a chargeback until the charge is finalized.

The second charge was initially in pending and I waited for it to post before I contacted Tesla. Both charges have posted and remain posted. I am certain I have been charged twice.

I just realized that Tesla might be one of the biggest users of credit cards. Most everyone puts their initial deposit on their credit cards.

7,000 deposits a week, maybe averaging $2,000 = $14 million per week. In additon all the Supercharging, service and Tesla Store.

So many bigger players.
The second charge was initially in pending and I waited for it to post before I contacted Tesla. Both charges have posted and remain posted. I am certain I have been charged twice.

Very easy to resolve, don't waste YOUR time waiting endlessly for Tesla to reply.

• Love
Reactions: Kevin_Freeman
I just realized that Tesla might be one of the biggest users of credit cards. Most everyone puts their initial deposit on their credit cards.

7,000 deposits a week, maybe averaging $2,000 = $14 million per week. In additon all the Supercharging, service and Tesla Store.

Kinda doubt it.... think iphone sales, sure, they aren't all Apple sales, but there were ~40m iphones sold last year, about 769k per week... at $800 each, that's $615 million per week. You could argue that not everyone pays in a lump sum for their phone, but then theres an ongoing smaller charge that is done by many more users. You could argue that Verizon(for instance) sells only a small portion of those iphones, but then you'd have to consider the myriad of other phones(and service!) they sell, and so on...