Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint auto stop HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my model Y for a few months now and love it. I live in a newer building in Los Angeles and use ChargePoint to charge my car a few times a week. When my car stays on the charger past my charge limit it keeps attempting to charge my car and is charging me extra. I didn't notice the problem until I looked at my charge history and one day I payed $97 for leaving on the charger for a few days. It is not an idle fee .
I now have the alerts on chargepohnt app it alerts me when full and I manually stop charging through the app.
The problem is I usually charge over night and I'm getting the alert in the middle of the night so I can't stop it manually and end up paying extra every time.

Any tips appreciated.

There's no way $97 is an actual fee for electricity for a Tesla sitting doing nothing for a few days. Which actual charger are you at, and how do they bill(hourly, per kwh, something else?)

You shouldn't be leaving your car blocking a Chargepoint charger either, but that's another question.

Can you tell your car to only START charging at time X, in the middle of the night?

Adding to this... assuming a typical Chargepoint charger at 6kw, 24 hours of that, times three days, is 432kwh. Multiply that by 0.25 per kwh is indeed $108, but its also going to be trying to stuff about SIX times a full pack's worth of charge into the car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
At $97 for aSounds like your charge point is charging you per hour instead of energy consumed. Many of the CP's charge $X for a certain period of time, then $Y for every hour thereafter. I just checked one on Wilshire and it is $1/hr for the first 4 hours and a monstrous $4/hr thereafter with a minimum of $2. This one would correlate a $97 charge to leaving it on the "juice" for about 28 hours. Sounds like yours might charge less.

Look up your specific chargepoint here:

And like @Sophias_dad says, locking up a charge point for several days at a time is not just bad karma, but also inviting vandalism.

• Helpful
Contact the company that provides the Chargepoint charging service in your building. Ask to speak with their technical support. Describe what has been happening, they may be able to change settings on the Chargepoint equipment to prevent this problem from recurring.

Why would you think it's not?
I don't think ChargePoint has idle fees, though as others mentioned they do have hourly rates at some locations. And those can apply very easily even when you are done charging, so practically speaking it serves the same purpose as an idle fee.

There are some here at the airport that are like this. It was thoughtlessly priced, but that's kind of the chargepoint way sadly.

To deter EV users from using the charge port as a parking port, Tesla started charging idle fees @ $1/min - human behaviour changed immediately, people immediately became more conscious about idle time as it was hitting their wallet. I am sure other EV charging companies will resort to the same practice ( if they have not already done so) to facilitate others who are waiting to charge access to the charge station.

To deter EV users from using the charge port as a parking port, Tesla started charging idle fees @ $1/min - human behaviour changed immediately, people immediately became more conscious about idle time as it was hitting their wallet.

Starbucks should try that also

what am I thinking? They should try "idle fees" where I work ... a lot of people would end up with a negative salary

Last edited:
Reactions: andaconda