Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint Plus Home Charger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I previously purchased and electrician installed the charge point plus home charging station for level 2 charging. It was supposed to be one of the fastest and/or highest rated chargers on the market. I just ordered a Tesla Model Y. Will the charge point plus home charger work with my Tesla? Do I need to order anything different to make it work? I appreciate your guidance.

I previously purchased and electrician installed the charge point plus home charging station for level 2 charging. It was supposed to be one of the fastest and/or highest rated chargers on the market. I just ordered a Tesla Model Y. Will the charge point plus home charger work with my Tesla? Do I need to order anything different to make it work? I appreciate your guidance.
I am not even sure what model you are talking about. As far as I am aware, ChargePoint has two models for home charging:
1. The ChargePoint Home, the original model (charges at up to 32A)
2. The ChargePoint Home Flex, the updated model (charges at up to 40A when plugged into a 50A socket; charges at up to 50A when hardwired)

Both of these models have J1772 connectors and will work with Tesla vehicles, if you use the included J1772 adapter that came with your car (I have model #1 and use it to charge my PHEV most of the time, but can use it with my Tesla by pulling the cord all the way over to the adjacent stall, which I do maybe once a year because I want data on what the charge power roll-off looks like when charging to 100%).

The only ChargePoint unit I can find with "Plus" anywhere in its name is the ChargePoint Express Plus, which is a DC fast charger. It is not intended for use at home but is intended for use at businesses near major roads to fast charge vehicles and get them back on the road ASAP (it's the equivalent of a Tesla Supercharger except it works with all vehicles). You would need a CCS or CHAdeMO adapter (sold separately) to use it with a Tesla.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't fully understand what the mobile connector that I ordered for $230 does then. Can you briefly explain?
The Mobile Connector enables you to charge anywhere there is available 120V or 240V power and a power outlet receptacle. The Mobile Connector is defined as electric vehicle service/supply equipment (EVSE) as is your Chargepoint an EVSE. The Tesla Mobile Connector accepts different power plug adapters (120V 5-15 and 240V 14-50 plug adapters are included with the Mobile Connector.) Additional plug adapters for specific 120V and 240V outlets are available from Tesla and also EVSEAdapters.com for the plug adapters that Tesla does not offer for sale.

• Helpful
I don't fully understand what the mobile connector that I ordered for $230 does then. Can you briefly explain?
Mobile connector is for plugging your vehicle into standard NEMA receptacles (wall outlets). The J1772 adapter is for plugging your vehicle into public EV charging stations. If you pull into a parking lot and there's a lot of EV charging stations but no outlets, you won't be able to charge using the mobile connector; you need the J1772 adapter. Most EV charging in public parking lots would probably be in the form of charging stations (just having outlets available that anyone can plug into would mean there's no way for them to charge you to use them) while at hotels and other controlled entry parking lots, you could also find outlets. If staying at a private home, the chances of finding an outlet are high, while the chances of finding a charging station are much lower (generally only if the owner has an EV).