Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger amperage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my MYLR today! Woohoo! Plugged it into my ChargePoint home charger and the charging modal popped up on the app with the amperage slider set at 48. Is there any way to tell what amperage my charger is outputting? The CP app doesn’t say but does indicate the charger is model CHP25. A quick google search suggested this was a 32 amp charger, but I’m not sure if that is the only option.

Can the MY figure it out or do I need to get it right? I never had to set this in my Leaf.

Don't worry, the EVSE will tell the vehicle how much current it can supply and the car will honor it. The max current setting in the car is only needed when you want to go below the capability of the the EVSE (like I do at my in-laws to limit charging to 9A on their 120V outlets).

Model Y Owner's Manual

Charging instructions

On the screen during an charging session using A/C power (anything other than a Supercharger or CCS station), you will see real-time information on the voltage and current that is being drawn by the vehicle from charging station or outlet. You are correct that the ChargePoint CHP25 is a 32 amp charging station. On screen during a charging session, you will see that the voltage is something around 235 Volts (240 Volts nominal for residential service, but during use the voltage drops slightly). The Amperage will show 32/32. The first 32 is the current amperage that the car is drawing and the second is the amperage that the currently connected charging station is advertising is available for safe use.

Reactions: TunaBug
Can the MY figure it out or do I need to get it right? I never had to set this in my Leaf.
You don't have to set this anywhere on any of it. It will all just negotiate and manage itself automagically as long as it's standard types of equipment, meaning you're not trying to use other 3rd party weird adapter pigtails to try to adapt to unusual outlets.
The charging station will announce to the car how many amps it has available. The car will see that and then request how much it wants. So nothing is going to "force feed" or overload something when they talk like that.