Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a 60D to 100% because of 75 battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are about a dozen threads on this now.

Yes, it's true. Charging to 100% on a 2015 or newer 60 is actually only charging to about 85% on the cells and doesn't incur any more wear than charging to 85% does on the other packs.

Pre 2015 60s are actually 60 kWh, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ambidexter

Yes, it's true. Charging to 100% on a 2015 or newer 60 is actually only charging to about 85% on the cells and doesn't incur any more wear than charging to 85% does on the other packs.

Thanks. I've hit the search for this topic 3 times before I posted and could not find it. Don't know what I am doing wrong.

I think it depends on which portion of the battery is used. For instance, whether it charges from 0 to 85% of the 75, or from 15 to 100% of the 75, or from 7.5 to 92.5% of the 75. If it's from 15 to 100% of the 75kWh battery, then it would incur additional wear on the battery. Otherwise, it should be fine.

I think it depends on which portion of the battery is used. For instance, whether it charges from 0 to 85% of the 75, or from 15 to 100% of the 75, or from 7.5 to 92.5% of the 75. If it's from 15 to 100% of the 75kWh battery, then it would incur additional wear on the battery. Otherwise, it should be fine.

You're certainly right about this. But between wk057's hacking and supercharging that's banging along at 40+ kW until the moment it cuts off, we're pretty confident that the limit is entirely at the top.

The reason your search didn't work may be that yo might have searched using a term of 3 characters or less. if you do that, it ignores that term. So if you searched for "60D" it ignored that and gave you the results for the rest of the terms.

On the topic of your search, you need to look at the information yourself and decide what you want t do with your car.

My decision? Tesla says Not to charge to 100% on a regular basis. Indications are that it is not harmful. I charge to 80-90% if the car will be sitting, and charge to 100% right before a trip. But in my situation, I always need a full charge to go anywhere, as I live in a rural area and my closest Supercharger is 90 miles away (nearest grocery store is 60 miles away). At Superchargers on a trip, I always charge to 100% if I am continuing on immediately. I had a situation where i arrived at a supercharger and it was not functioning. If I had not charged to 100% at the previous supercharger, I would not have made the next one and would have been forced to spend the night in the car in the desert with my wife and cat.

I spent $100,000 on this car and I just want to be clear that the same ability to charge a 60d to 100% applies to the x class as it does to a s class. It is a fair question.

The first reply clearly was about s class since 60D for X class just came out in late 2016.

If you think this is a dumb question move on.

I spent $100,000 on this car and I just want to be clear that the same ability to charge a 60d to 100% applies to the x class as it does to a s class. It is a fair question.

The first reply clearly was about s class since 60D for X class just came out in late 2016.

If you think this is a dumb question move on.

S battery packs and X battery packs are identical. This discussion applies to an X just and much as an S.

Personally, on my X75D I generally leave the charge limit at 80% unless I'm planning to go somewhere. There probably isn't much difference between sitting at 80 and sitting at 90, but It's not like I'm going to need that extra range on a daily basis anyway, so why stress the battery any more?

With a 60, I'd probably leave it at 90% unless I did enough driving on a regular basis that I used most of the battery. I wouldn't hesitate to charge to 100% on or before road trips, though.

Thank you! I just got this car 3 days ago and know nothing about them except in a general way.

Well, you have quite a fun adventure in front of you then. Welcome, and congrats on what I think is the best car available today at any price!

It took about a week for the unreal feeling to fade and the car to feel like it was mine (and the grin never goes away I'm told - it hasn't in the first 10,000 miles (only four months!) anyway.)

What's your configuration?

Last edited:
60D with enhanced autopilot, self driving, air suspension( I think). 5 seater.

Yes I agree. It does feel unreal like I am in a Jettson cartoon. I used to be part owner in a high end used car company. My Tesla blows them all away! I am so excited to be part of the solution to global warming. I am also on a kick of retrofitting my warehouse with energy saving devices. I save enough each month by using Nest Thermostats to lower my electric bill by $1000 a month for 12000 sq ft. That made a big dent in this car payment. Once I finish all upgrades my office/warehouse it will use zero electricity. Solar panels will be last once I pull out all the conservation savings I can. Have a good one.

The reason your search didn't work may be that yo might have searched using a term of 3 characters or less. if you do that, it ignores that term. So if you searched for "60D" it ignored that and gave you the results for the rest of the terms.

On the topic of your search, you need to look at the information yourself and decide what you want t do with your car.

My decision? Tesla says Not to charge to 100% on a regular basis. Indications are that it is not harmful. I charge to 80-90% if the car will be sitting, and charge to 100% right before a trip. But in my situation, I always need a full charge to go anywhere, as I live in a rural area and my closest Supercharger is 90 miles away (nearest grocery store is 60 miles away). At Superchargers on a trip, I always charge to 100% if I am continuing on immediately. I had a situation where i arrived at a supercharger and it was not functioning. If I had not charged to 100% at the previous supercharger, I would not have made the next one and would have been forced to spend the night in the car in the desert with my wife and cat.
Thank you. I will keep at 80%. Great advice. I don't drive that far to work, maybe 40 miles a day.

I was charging to 95% after my delivery because of the 75W/80% theory on my 60D. After a few days of this I got a warning nag in the morning that I was charging over the recommended limit. I still believe the extra charging isn't hurting a 60D but I set the limit back to 90% so that I wouldn't be nagged.

Reactions: rainforest