Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used 2021 model Y and it didn’t come with its supercharger adapter (for no Tesla chargers) can someone point me to where I can purchase one? I see a lot of aftermarket options available and just want to make sure I get the right one.

Thank you!

Craig, welcome to the Tesla community. What you want is the J1772 adapter for using generic Level 2 charging stations. It's available at Tesla.com/shop/charging/adapters, for $55. It comes with the car, so the person you bought from owes you one!
It's important to get the terminology correct. This is not a "Supercharger adapter". There's Level 1 charging (any outlet, 120 volts/15 amps, about 5 miles of range per hour of charging), Level 2 charging (240 volt, 30 to 70 amps, 30 to 70 miles of range per hours - depends on the charger in your car, Teslas max out at 48 amps, and if you're using the Mobile Connector Kit (also available at Tesla.com, and recommended to carry with you) it's limited to 32 amps), Level 3 charging, also known as Direct Current Fast Charging (DCFC) or Direct Current Quick Charging (DCQC) (400+ volts and output measured in kilowatts (kW) of 50 to 350kW, 150 to over 1,000 miles of range per hour, depending on what the station can provide and what your car can accept. "Superchargers" are at the high end of Level 3 charging. Hope this helps. "EV grin"!

What you want is the J1772 adapter for using generic Level 2 charging stations.
Probably not.
I am over 90% sure that this person is not talking about the slow level 2 J1772 stations that take hours or overnight. What I see FAR more commonly is that people think the word "supercharger" is just a generic word that refers to all of the very high power stations that are like Tesla's "Supercharger" (TM) stations. So @Craig Lindeman is much more likely referring to the CCS adapter, to use those other companies' fast charging stations. That DOES NOT come with the car, but is something you can buy in Tesla's store. Here is the link:

I tend to think that J1772 adapter is overpriced from Tesla.
I got this one from Amazon for 10 bucks: Amazon.com
And it works as well as the one I have from Tesla. Unfortunately it looks like it's out of stock.
Here's another alternative: Amazon.com
Just remember that a cheaper priced adapter doesn't mean it's a safe adapter. There are many companies selling unsafe crap online, so just remember an adapter has to handle the high voltages and have safety features.

Reactions: holmgang
Thank you so much for this. I am obviously new to this, so I appreciate your help!

Hi @Craig Lindeman

Welcome to TMC!

Since you are new, and used terms to refer to charging that are a bit confusing (no worries! everyone starts somewhere), what would really help us help you would be if you had a picture of what the charging station looks like that you are trying to use.

Or, if thats not possible, a detailed as you can make it description of what it was called, or what it looked like would help.

Welcome again, and congratulations on the purchase of your model Y!

Happy motoring!

Just remember that a cheaper priced adapter doesn't mean it's a safe adapter. There are many companies selling unsafe crap online, so just remember an adapter has to handle the high voltages and have safety features.
Certainly more of a concern for a CCS adapter. But I inspected the J1772 adapter I got for 10 bucks and It's almost as good as the $50 one tesla sells.
PXL_20240327_180023320.jpgPXL_20240327_180050492.jpgPXL_20240327_180059064.jpg
I'd say the main difference is there's less of a chamfer on the J1772 side, but it inserts just fine, and I got it to leave on my non-Tesla EVSE anyhow.

Last edited:
RE: CCS1 Adapters

I've had good luck with this one LENZ CCS1 Adapter on Amazon.

It's not the official (expensive) Tesla one, but the LENZ brand seems to be good quality and a nice compromise between the official Tesla one and the other no-name-brand ones on Amazon.

I don't use it much and also since everyone will be moving to NACS eventually, didn't want to get the expensive Tesla one. Mainly have it as a back-up in case the Superchargers are: full, or too-far-away, or $/KWh is more.

YMMV

For a CCS to Tesla adapter to allow the use of non-Tesla DC fast chargers, be aware that a lot if not all the major fast charger companies explicitly note the CCS1 adapter "from Tesla" in their instructions. That gives them an out for any issues with their chargers if you can't demonstrate the adapter is a Tesla adapter. I paid for the Tesla adapter to be able to get help if/when a CCS charger has an issue. Yes it's close to 5x the price of everything else. That said, with CCS being dominant around me the extra $200 for the Tesla adapter will likely save me customer support headaches in the future.

I'll buy generic chargers and adapters for cell phones and cameras and small electronics... but for something plugged into a car at literally tens of thousands of watts... no way. And visually looking at the product housing is not an indicator of the quality of internals.

The adapter is not a profit center for Tesla so I would trust the money is going into the product, and there must be something there to justify the cost.

Reactions: Acps110 and Resist
You can't tell what's inside an adapter by looking at the outside of it.
It's a straight through passive adapter. I can inspect the contact surface area and thickness. I can measure the electrical resistance. I can reinspect after use.

From my testing, I'm confident to use it regularly at the 32 Amps I use at home, and keep my worn original in the car for destination charging opportunities. I suspect I got it cheap due to excess inventory, but something that simple really shouldn't cost 50 bucks at volume. Just my opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: tzgator and Resist