Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for the possibly dumb questions that follow - I did try searching, but so many things come up with a “what comes with a new Model 3” search that I am a little confused…

I have had my M3P since May 2020 (love it), but sadly the lease is coming to an end and I’ll no longer be able to get a salary sacrifice car, so we are looking at buying a M3 Rear-Wheel Drive on a PCP. Given the upcoming Highland refresh, Tesla are currently offering 0% finance over 4 years, with no deposit, which is attractive. Although we’d prefer the newer model, finances won’t stretch to cover that (when it gets here), so we have to cut our cloth accordingly!

We took a test drive in an M3RWD at the weekend, and I have to say I was impressed with the improvement in build quality and quietness - I even had very few issues with having no USS, which kind of shocked me… However, specifications have changed a fair bit since I got my car, so I wanted to use the ‘hive mind’ on here to get up to speed. I’ve tried to do the legwork first to help, but are the following correct about an M3 RWD in comparison to my old M3P (forgetting the performance/4WD I guess):

I lose…
  • The fantastic sound system
  • Front footwell lights
  • Some range
  • USS
  • Storage tray in centre arm rest (why?)

But I get…
  • Heatpump
  • Powered boot
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Double glazing
  • Dimming door mirrors
  • Ryzen processor
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Li-ion low voltage battery
  • PWS

Do I still get…?
  • Mats
  • UMC adaptor
  • Heated rear seats
  • Front fog lights
If there are things I’ve missed, please let me know…

I’m sure there is a specification on the Tesla website somewhere, but I couldn’t find it :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance 👍

If there are things I’ve missed, please let me know…

Well you missed any mention of losing a huge amount of acceleration, but seem to have nailed every other point of comparison. I'm assuming the acceleration isn't a big factor for you. Did you manage to test the sound system much or at all during the test drive? I personally find the sound system in my Model 3 LR very good, but at higher speeds you can't really appreciate that anyway with all the road noise etc.

Well you missed any mention of losing a huge amount of acceleration, but seem to have nailed every other point of comparison. I'm assuming the acceleration isn't a big factor for you. Did you manage to test the sound system much or at all during the test drive? I personally find the sound system in my Model 3 LR very good, but at higher speeds you can't really appreciate that anyway with all the road noise etc.
forgetting the performance/4WD I guess
I did put that, and yes, I'll miss it loads, but sadly it's got to go back and I can't afford another one 😞

Reactions: EVMeister
l’m back with another question - sorry!

I have my lease car on a Tesla account that is registered to my work email address. As the new car will be a personal car, that will be registered to my home email address. How exactly am I going to make that work with the app - both of us need access to both cars!

I found loads of articles about two cars in one account, but struggling with information about two cars in two accounts…

I'm too just about to be in this situation so following with interest

I have my lease car on a Tesla account that is registered to my work email address. As the new car will be a personal car, that will be registered to my home email address. How exactly am I going to make that work with the app - both of us need access to both cars!

I found loads of articles about two cars in one account, but struggling with information about two cars in two accounts…
I'm too just about to be in this situation so following with interest

Isn't this as simple as changing the e-mail address on your account from your work e-mail to personal ? If you do that before you order the new one then you won't end up with two accounts. Unless I'm mis-understanding.

I had similar, in that I had an account under my personal e-mail from booking the test drive, but the car was then ordered under the work e-mail. The guy at the local Tesla service centre advised deleting my personal account and then changing the e-mail on the account with the order from work to personal e-mail. They said it could be done anytime but didn't do it until the car actually arrived - paranoia about losing the place in the queue.

You can delegate car access to another account (assuming you are the master account holder). The lease car may already be delegated onto your work email address, in which case you can’t delegate it to your personal email address. If so I’d give your work email delegated access to your new car and that account will be able to see both cars and you won’t need to go account swapping. You can always log in to your home account when you need the few extra features that has.

In other words - your work account has delegated access to both cars, one delegated by the lease company, the other by your home account.

The only catch is if your new car also has delegated access because of the way you’ve financed it

Isn't this as simple as changing the e-mail address on your account from your work e-mail to personal ? If you do that before you order the new one then you won't end up with two accounts. Unless I'm mis-understanding.

I had similar, in that I had an account under my personal e-mail from booking the test drive, but the car was then ordered under the work e-mail. The guy at the local Tesla service centre advised deleting my personal account and then changing the e-mail on the account with the order from work to personal e-mail. They said it could be done anytime but didn't do it until the car actually arrived - paranoia about losing the place in the queue.
Sadly, we already ordered the new one 🤷‍♂️. As the new car is linked to my personal email, I doubt I could change my lease car’s work one to that now.

My current thinking is I’ll have to log out of my work account on the app, log in using my personal one, then share the new car with the work account. Then log out and back in with the work one, and I should see both cars.

I can’t add drivers to the work one as it is a lease, and that option is missing, so the missus will have to continue using my work login…

Well complex!!

You can delegate car access to another account (assuming you are the master account holder). The lease car may already be delegated onto your work email address, in which case you can’t delegate it to your personal email address. If so I’d give your work email delegated access to your new car and that account will be able to see both cars and you won’t need to go account swapping. You can always log in to your home account when you need the few extra features that has.

In other words - your work account has delegated access to both cars, one delegated by the lease company, the other by your home account.

The only catch is if your new car also has delegated access because of the way you’ve financed it
Brilliant - I think that is what I wrote (we crossed in the ether)!

The new car is on a PCP, so I should get full account control.

Why not buy your existing car from the lease company?
As you would expect of someone on this forum - I had a spreadsheet detailing the 'pros and cons' :). The top pros are below:
  1. New 4 year warranty
  2. Insurance cost (M3P is dearer)
  3. Cheaper/more options on tyres
  4. Better ride quality (that's from the missus!)
  5. Quieter
  6. Heat pump (more efficient)
  7. Heated steering wheel
  8. Powered boot
  9. Double glazing
  10. Dimming door mirrors
  11. 0% interest over 4 years
  12. £0 up front (money stays in the bank earning interest)
  13. Referral bonuses
  14. Pretty cheap compared to what the lease company wanted for the M3P
We plan to keep the car four years and possibly more, so it just kind of made sense.

As you would expect of someone on this forum - I had a spreadsheet detailing the 'pros and cons' :). The top pros are below:
  1. New 4 year warranty
  2. Insurance cost (M3P is dearer)
  3. Cheaper/more options on tyres
  4. Better ride quality (that's from the missus!)
  5. Quieter
  6. Heat pump (more efficient)
  7. Heated steering wheel
  8. Powered boot
  9. Double glazing
  10. Dimming door mirrors
  11. 0% interest over 4 years
  12. £0 up front (money stays in the bank earning interest)
  13. Referral bonuses
  14. Pretty cheap compared to what the lease company wanted for the M3P
We plan to keep the car four years and possibly more, so it just kind of made sense.
But...

Not Blue/White, not so fast, and likely no so much fun :(.

hit it again guys 2nd M3RWD and 3rd Tesla, got my brother to just buy a MY
its amazing that outside of Tesla there IS an EV adoption slowdown
inside of Tesla its red hot, CT, Jupiter, M2 on its way

Keep us the amazing work Lars, Franz!