Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 34kW from 26miles charge to 126miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MS 2016 85D 90,000 miles. I navigated to a supercharger for 2 hours, plugged straight in, and I'm only getting 34kW. It showed 35kW for a few minutes. Full has been around 250 miles recently. Ambient temperature 22°C.

It is booked in for the battery fuse replacement, but I don't think that would affect it.

What is happening?

Impossible to say based on a single charging session.

Maybe something was wrong with the supercharger site or the individual stall you were using. Maybe it’s your car. You need to do a little more experimentation to figure that out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Did you try another stall or visit the next closest Supercharger site? I've been in both situations when it was just a bad paired stall, and one time when the whole site had limited flow (Quartzsite, AZ circa 2019). Any service alerts in Service Mode? It's possible you have a cooling issue that might be restricting the charging from going any faster due to thermal concerns.

MS 2016 85D 90,000 miles. I navigated to a supercharger for 2 hours, plugged straight in, and I'm only getting 34kW. It showed 35kW for a few minutes. Full has been around 250 miles recently. Ambient temperature 22°C.

It is booked in for the battery fuse replacement, but I don't think that would affect it.

What is happening?

Looking at your postcode, this wouldn't be the Dartford supercharger, would it? I'm there now in my MX90D after a service, and I'm only getting 34kW despite the battery being at 50%. Normally I'd be expecting it to be charging with full force.

I've tried two separate stalls and got the same result. I don't trust Tesla to have not broken something during the service, or to be throttling free supercharging.

And the unlimited Supercharging conspiracy theorists will say this is a malicious Tesla plot in 3...2...1...

Happy to oblige! :D

I gave up charging at Dartford, and went 20ish miles down the road to Maidstone (contender for the worst supercharger in the UK?). I once again started at 35kW on a shared V2, but after at least 20 minutes it got up to 65kW. I'm hoping that means it was just an issue at Dartford, and not with the car.

A shared V2 supercharger will give ~75kw max to each car, not 34-37.
That is entirely wrong.

A V2 will give max power to the car that plugged in first (110-120ish kW) and then about 35kW to the other till the primary car drops down below the max and then it will slowly ramp up the secondary car with that extra juice.

I know this because I've charged a zillion times at V2 stations and have been both the primary and secondary car many many times and every single time it charges at the same exact speeds when there is another car attached.

• Disagree
That is entirely wrong.
Your information is about four years dated at this point.

The way you describe it WAS indeed how it used to work - first car received priority and the second car was guaranteed at least one of the four ~35kw “modules” that V2 charging pairs are made up of.

This hasn’t been true for several years at least. If two cars are plugged into a V2 charging pair and are both requesting >~70kw, power is split right down the middle regardless of arrival order.

The
Your information is about four years dated at this point.

The way you describe it WAS indeed how it used to work - first car received priority and the second car was guaranteed at least one of the four ~35kw “modules” that V2 charging pairs are made up of.

This hasn’t been true for several years at least. If two cars are plugged into a V2 charging pair and are both requesting >~70kw, power is split right down the middle regardless of arrival order.
Then riddle me this Batman why have I never gotten over 35kW when I'm the secondary car on a V2 charger as recently as yesterday‽ But when I'm the primary car I get around 110kW as recently as last Friday.

Also I'm on software 2023.38.4

Then riddle me this Batman
Not sure what to tell you sport, there’s ample documentation of this behavior change all over the forums.

The V2 sites I use most frequently (Fresno, Tejon Ranch) have exhibited the behavior I describe above for many years. Maybe we should meet there and give it a try sometime, loser buys the beer :)

Maybe it’s inconsistent site by site or based on how busy it is but I doubt it.

• Love
Not sure what to tell you sport, there’s ample documentation of this behavior change all over the forums.

The V2 sites I use most frequently (Fresno, Tejon Ranch) have exhibited the behavior I describe above for many years. Maybe we should meet there and give it a try sometime, loser buys the beer :)

Maybe it’s inconsistent site by site or based on how busy it is but I doubt it.
I literally just plugged into a V2 station in TX and guess what‽ that's right I was pulling a whipping 34kW for 30 min till the other car left and I got the full 120kW my % should pull from a free station.

So maybe it's only the new cars, but I've plugged into V2 stations in 15 states and it's always the same when it comes to primary and secondary cars based on who plugs in first.

So maybe it's only the new cars, but I've plugged into V2 stations in 15 states and it's always the same when it comes to primary and secondary cars based on who plugs in first.
That's really odd, because it was that way from the start and for some years, but then several years ago, the behavior definitely changed. People who used to see that behavior of the first car getting higher rates saw that it had changed. Whenever a second car would plug in, BOTH cars would immediately go to a half and half split of the available power. It has been that way as far as I know ever since then at all of the V2 stations. Your comments here just this week are the first I've heard of it maybe going back to the old original way.