Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at a non Supercharger site, which type is best?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping to get my Model 3 SR+ from EVEZY at some point, it includes free Polar charging and Supercharging, although there is Supercharger not far from work, near home I have a Polar station at a local hotel, popped in and spoke to the guy there who said I am free to use as much as I like, as long as I pop into reception and put in my license plate into the parking eye machine there. (maximum 90 mins per session other penalty charge from Polar of £10), so I plan on making use of this once or twice a week, park up, plug in and walk the dog for an hour, get some free juice :)

My question is, they have 3 connectors there, which is best and can I plug in with what comes with the car or do I need extra connectors?

DC Combo Type 2 (50Kw)
CHAdeMo (50kw)
Type 2 (43Kw)

Also, percentage wise what will I get in a session (1hr - 90mins) on Model SR+, close to 100% charge?

Hi. Excited ? :)

You can use either the “DC Combo type 2” ( also known as CCS or CCS2) or the “Type 2” which is AC rather than DC.
Tesla SSO – Login

Of those two, you’ll want to use the CCS as it’s faster. You’ll get a peak of around 40kW power out of it (in my experience anyway) and therefore you’ll get a maximum of about 40kWh energy in an hour, 60kWh in 90 mins

you’ll generally not want to charge it (or any BEV) above 90% full, it’s kinder on the battery to keep it in the sweet spot between 20-80%. If you’re doing a long trip without delay (I.e. don’t keep it at 100% for long, not overnight), then 100% is ok occasionally.

The cables in your boot will both be the “Type 2” AC too, you’ll use these on public/home charging where a cable is not already connected to the power supply.

On any AC connection the highest power you’ll be able to draw 7.7 kW (single or three phase) as that’s the maximum the internal charger of the SR/SR+ can handle. Onboard Charger

Last edited:
I’m also waiting patiently for SR+, realistically I want it the first week of March but I have a feeling it could be end of February.
What is the difference between charging with CCS and Chamedo (or whatever it’s called). I spoke to someone yesterday who was using CCS, if I turned up would I use the chamedo charger and then swop when he left?

Polar triple-headed chargers only support one cable being used at any one time.

CHAdeMO is for Nissan leafs primarily, or Tesla S/X with a big FO adapter. Model 3 can use CCS natively so don’t need to bother with CHAdeMO

L-R: CHAdeMO, CCS combo 2, Type 2

800px-Chademo-combo2-iec-type-2-connectors-side-by-side.jpg

Hi. Excited ? :)

You can use either the “DC Combo type 2” ( also known as CCS or CCS2) or the “Type 2” which is AC rather than DC.
Tesla SSO – Login

Of those two, you’ll want to use the CCS as it’s faster. You’ll get a peak of around 40kW power out of it (in my experience anyway) and therefore you’ll get a maximum of about 40kWh energy in an hour, 60kWh in 90 mins

you’ll generally not want to charge it (or any BEV) above 90% full, it’s kinder on the battery to keep it in the sweet spot between 20-80%. If you’re doing a long trip without delay (I.e. don’t keep it at 100% for long, not overnight), then 100% is ok occasionally.

The cables in your boot will both be the “Type 2” AC too, you’ll use these on public/home charging where a cable is not already connected to the power supply.

On any AC connection the highest power you’ll be able to draw 7.7 kW (single or three phase) as that’s the maximum the internal charger of the SR/SR+ can handle. Onboard Charger
Slight correction there:
On AC you can charge at approximately 7kW (32 A) using single phase or 11kW (16 A) on three phase.
Public chargers such as the you describe are three phase.
It still makes more sense to use the CCS charging as the OP suggested, though.

Reactions: OfficialMark_H
Hoping to get my Model 3 SR+ from EVEZY at some point, it includes free Polar charging and Supercharging, although there is Supercharger not far from work, near home I have a Polar station at a local hotel, popped in and spoke to the guy there who said I am free to use as much as I like, as long as I pop into reception and put in my license plate into the parking eye machine there. (maximum 90 mins per session other penalty charge from Polar of £10), so I plan on making use of this once or twice a week, park up, plug in and walk the dog for an hour, get some free juice :)

My question is, they have 3 connectors there, which is best and can I plug in with what comes with the car or do I need extra connectors?

DC Combo Type 2 (50Kw)
CHAdeMo (50kw)
Type 2 (43Kw)

Also, percentage wise what will I get in a session (1hr - 90mins) on Model SR+, close to 100% charge?

Use polar ccs and I’d expect an 80% charger during 80 mins.

If you don’t have home charging then I don’t see the problem charging to 100%, Elon Musk says it’s fine but just won’t be as efficient due to no regen when full

I just took a look at the charger online (https://polar-network.com/charge-point-information/24042/) and looks like somebody using it now as it states;
DC Combo Type 2 - Charging
CHAdeMo - Unavailable
Type 2 - Unavailable

So although there are two parking bays at the unit, the unit itself can only handle one connection at any one time, pretty poor :(
The one I was at yesterday was this on Zap-Map

Attachments

• 6850F412-CF0B-4FDE-96AD-68966F348C57.png
    6850F412-CF0B-4FDE-96AD-68966F348C57.png
    252.1 KB · Views: 94
So although there are two parking bays at the unit, the unit itself can only handle one connection at any one time, pretty poor :(
Welcome to the world of non-Tesla chargers :eek: The other problem you'll find, particularly if you try to use the Ecotricity rapids at most motorway services, is that they are quite unreliable! Superchargers, on the other hand, just work, and are much quicker.

thanks for all the info guys, yes, I'll prob keep it to < 90%, unless doing a Wirral > Watford run, but even then I would probably have to stop off for a boost on the way there so may be no point going 100% at all.

Yes, if you are going to charge part route anyway you are definitely best to leave with less than 100% because arriving at a Supercharger with a lower percentage battery is generally a good thing. This is because your charge rate/speed will be higher when charging from lower percentages.

thanks for all the info guys, yes, I'll prob keep it to < 90%, unless doing a Wirral > Watford run, but even then I would probably have to stop off for a boost on the way there so may be no point going 100% at all.
There's nothing more infuriating than arriving at a rapid charger to find a car plugged in at 98% charging at about 5kW sat there for 20 minutes with no sign of the driver. As others have noted, it is most efficient, in terms of regen, rate of charge, and battery longevity to charge to about 75% and go. It's also better etiquette. If charging higher then perhaps play some beach buggy just in case there's a queue forming.