Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at home - asking for advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we're renovating a 70s house in GTA we recently acquired, and I'm planning for EV charging now. Would like to ask for advice from the folks here, as where I used to live, I had 3-phase charging, and this is all new to me.

The house has 100amps service, and that's what we're staying with - as much as we'd like to increase to 200amps, it's not going to happen now. Our biggest power consumers will be a wall oven, an induction cooktop and a 2ton A/C. The dryer will be on natural gas, and we won't have a pool or a hot tub.

What options do I have to install a charging option in the garage, and not necessarily a Tesla HPWC? Should I go with a 14-30 or 14-50? I know HPWC would give me a higher charging rate, but even with 30amps, it would be enough for my daily driving. The question is, which option would be within the electrical code, so I can pass the inspection?

Again, increasing to 200amps service is not an option now.

Thanks,

J.

Which Model are you looking at? Will there be more EVs in the future?

Either 14-30 or 14-50 should be fine. Run the best line you can get so you don't have to upgrade later again if you purchase another EV.

UMC tops out at 40A(32A). I have 100 Amp service with a subpanel to the garage for 60A. Past owner use to have a workshop in the garage. I now run 45A(36A) from a welding plug in the garage with the HPWC. No issues and the inspector didn't have problem regarding loads.

House has A/C (hardly on this past summer), Washer/Dryer (Once a week), Fridge, and gas stove. Most EV charging happens overnight where electric usage is minimal.

We have a 100 amp service with the following:
  • 30A dryer
  • 40A oven (combo induction)
  • 40A A/C
  • 15A electrically heated floor in the main bathroom
  • The usual collection of lights, TV, computers etc.
  • 40A EVSE circuit to the garage
In the garage we have a 6-50 receptacle (no neutral) with a plug-in, wall mounted EVSE / J1772 that we use for both our Smart ED and our Model 3. The unit is rated for 9kW (?) but we clearly only use it up to 32A (~7.4kW). You could use a 14-50 receptacle.

The Smart will only pull 3.3kW

The Model 3 auto-sense on the line set itself to 29A. I turned that down in the car to 28A just "because".

The work passed ESA inspection and we've been using it for six years.

Well, this topic has been discussed on many threads. Here's a recent one: Adding a charger to my 100 amp panel
You'll see in this thread, that the Canadian Electric Code (CEC) changed recently to allow more flexibility for charging circuits. This REALLY helps homes with 100 amp services. If anything, your utility can provide you with an energy use profile that proves that you wont exceed the breaker limits.
Please read through the thread. Here is my explanation later in the thread:Adding a charger to my 100 amp panel

My suggestion is to install a NEMA 14-50 plug, ideally on a 50 amp circuit (allowing for 80% per CEC = 40 Amps available)
This can be used for your UMC, and a *bunch* of J1772 aftermarket charging systems, should you wish to get one later