Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Cable Brainstorming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand your happy with backing in your Teslas to your garage but I have found it quite simple to just pull in and use my one charge (EVSE) cord for both vehicles.

Rich

MY on left, M3 on right.

poLbqWI.jpg

I understand your happy with backing in your Teslas to your garage but I have found it quite simple to just pull in and use my one charge (EVSE) cord for both vehicles.

Rich

MY on left, M3 on right.
That's tempting, but here's why I don't want to do that:

l don't trust myself to never absentmindedly back over the cable to the car charging on the left with the car on the right. Have you ever done that?

There’s a 14-50 splitter available. I use one. You can essentially split one charging point run and short 14-50 extension and place that in the other side. There’s a safety switch preventing both plugs from running at the same time. Not the most elegant solution but if you get thick gauge wiring and limit the amp pull I believe this will be safe. I run something like this to place the charging on the correct side of the garage for the last 3 years.

All wiring used is rated 60amp but I only pull 32amp or less.

One more modification:

20221110_155457.jpg

This arrangement keeps the cable from sliding through the hook. The zip ties are not tight enough to damage the cable.

I also cut down the plastic carabiner to make hooking/unhooking easier.

I've found it's very easy to hook it one or unhook it and put the cable away. I realized that it's in fact easier than it would be if I had an extension cord and the cable lying on the garage floor.

No problems with conflicts over charging times so far. In fact, we haven't even charged up the new car at home yet.

Not sure if this has been previously addressed but if I had a type 2 to type 2 cable (cable and plug fittings only no controller) could I replace the power supply end with a 3 Phase plug and plug straight in to the M3 car and 3 Phase source to charge?
In a word? No. The EVSE that the type 2 cord plugs into has switching and safety functions in it. The car must interact with it to enable charging.