Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Complication with 14-50 Nema

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner, charing worked fine for first 2-3 days.

For last two days, it has been tricky. I plug cable in wall adaptor first. Then to the car and it accepts it. Soon the 'charging cable faulty' message shows up. I try to un-plug and re-plug in car, same message appears.

Then if I un-plug and re-plug cable on the wall, it starts working.

Any ideas what's going on?

This might sound crazy, but have you double checked that the connection between the UMC and the tail piece that plugs into the wall are fully plugged in? The first time I had to take my UMC with me and change the tail, I didn't get it fully plugged when I got back home and had a
similar experience.

There are some very low quality 14-50 recepticals available from places like Home Depot. They are not really up to the task of EV charging. If your wall plug or socket are getting hot, perhaps you need a better quality receptical. (ask me how I know)

I would refrain from plugging in and out multiple times which can cause wear.

Both of these are good advice. We charge the S with an HPWC but charge the Roadster via an OpenEVSE charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50. This gets unplugged on VERY rare occasions and has lasted 5 years without problem [knocks on wood].

Reactions: GSP
There are some very low quality 14-50 recepticals available from places like Home Depot. They are not really up to the task of EV charging. If your wall plug or socket are getting hot, perhaps you need a better quality receptical. (ask me how I know)

Correct!

According to this:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

Tesla recommends:

Receptacle Recommendation: High quality, industrial grade receptacle Examples: Hubbell part # HBL9450A, Cooper part #5754N

Also as mentioned above, I would just plug it in and leave it in!

Reactions: UncaNed
As you’re a new owner it’s highly unlikely this has anything to do with wear on your receptacle. A more likely explanation is the adapter plug wasn’t pushed into the outlet all the way or one of the receptacle wires wasn’t tourqued properly. Or you have a bad UMC.

Why are you plugging it in each time? Despite the “mobile” in the name, it should stay plugged in and hung on the wall. Only take it with you if you’re going on an out of town trip.

Reactions: Kalex and UncaNed
Do you know that the 1450 was put in by a certified electrician? That is to say, do you know that the wires are actually the right gauge? It could be that things are heating up and the Tesla circuitry recognizes that and will shut down. I'd go with the advice given earlier, just dial the amperage down, say to 30. If it works fine there that's your solution. Although, it would make me nervous enough that I'd have somebody look at it. Unless you know how to do that sort of thing yourself.

Refrain from plugging and plugging, and make sure the 14-50 receptacle and the UMC adapter is snug when connected.
Ask me how I know:)

Attachments

• BE651D54-12DB-481D-AB93-CFA47D4A6EAD.jpeg
    BE651D54-12DB-481D-AB93-CFA47D4A6EAD.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 84EE8B00-E618-4AA7-A7A3-3D582BF09827.jpeg
    84EE8B00-E618-4AA7-A7A3-3D582BF09827.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Informative
Reactions: mambro and RScottyL
Refrain from plugging and plugging, and make sure the 14-50 receptacle and the UMC adapter is snug when connected.
Ask me how I know:)
A copper ferrule is supposed to be installed on stranded wire before it is clamped into the receptacle. It is very likely that not all of the strands were tightly clamped which created a higher resistance point which got hot.