Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Done Ahead of Schedule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For today, I set a departure time of 9 AM in scheduled charging, but it was completed at 5 AM. That surprised me. The car is going to sit at 100% for four hours (I know it doesn't matter much, but still).

That surprised me. Our Leaf always finished at the last minute.

Why do you think it finished ahead of time?

Californian time-of-use super off-peak hours end at 6:00. So for the first update of Scheduled Departure, Tesla has charging ending before 6:00.

Note: It was well defined in the Release Notes.

FTFY.

Nothing to do with anywhere but California.
They did the minimum.

Hopefully, their shift to the upgradable v3 H*PWC is connected to a plan to add smart-charging to the car's software, but I'm not holding my breath.

* That's H for "higher than the mobile connector".

For cold winter weather warriors.
People always want faster charging. In the winter slower may be better. You can reduce the charge speed so that it takes longer to charge overnight and that will help keep the battery warmer longer because it will be charging longer. Drop your level 2 charger down to 32KW or 24 or 16KW . Set the over night charge to 70 or 80% and then when you wake up in the morning raise the charge rate to 80 or 85% and turn on the preheating for the interior. This will warm the battery, increase the regen available and the car will be comfortable when you get in. By the time you shower, get dressed and make your coffee the car will be heated up and ready to go.

>There is a hard limit of 6am when the scheduled charging is going to complete, even if you set the departure time to 9am.

That seems like a bad design decision. On our EV rate plan, the cheap time starts at midnight. So, if I set it to leave at 9 AM, and the car requires nine hours of charging, I'd be charging for three hours at $.36/kWh.

I just won't use that feature, telling it to start charging at midnight instead.

FTFY.

Nothing to do with anywhere but California.
They did the minimum.

Hopefully, their shift to the upgradable v3 H*PWC is connected to a plan to add smart-charging to the car's software, but I'm not holding my breath.

* That's H for "higher than the mobile connector".
Don't just disagree with my response without justification.
You said that most TOU plans end at 6am.
Mine doesn't. It ends at 7am.
Massachusetts has plans where peak is 12pm-8pm.
Ohio 8am to 9pm
An Arizona utility has TOU peak 2pm to 8pm summer, 5am-9am and 5pm-9pm.
That's just from me sampling a few states.
Florida weekdays 6am-10am and 6pm-10pm winter, 2pm-6pm summer, weekends off peak
Texas has a bunch of different plans offered.
The UK has a bunch of different plans offered.
The "most places are off-peak to 6am" is just bull. As far as Tesla is concerned what mattered was making their limited scheduling work better for California, which has TOU to 6am.

The Volt, first sold in December 2010, has had peak/mid/off-peak rate entry for weekdays and weekends from the beginning, and a choice of immediate, rate-based or rate plus departure-based scheduling, because it was an obvious feature to have. It's not complicated and doesn't need much data to do it. My tables have 6 entries.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mnevar
There is a hard limit of 6am when the scheduled charging is going to complete, even if you set the departure time to 9am.
I'm hopeful for the day that Tesla allows this "stop charging time" to be configurable in the car. Clearly there are areas with no time of use where rates are the same at all time of the day, or areas where the TOU is on different hours. Too bad it is assumed that the whole world works on a 6am schedule. Gee, I haven't even rolled over in bed by that time. :)

I'm hoping this will be fixed soon.

In the meantime, I set the charging start time to 3 AM. This will usually have it finish up (usually to 85%) around 8 AM, the earliest we need the car, and if it isn't quite finished, no problem. We rarely need more than 100 miles for daily driving.