TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging for not Charging

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by jaanton, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I just left a free Blink charge station where a Chevy Volt had been connected for more than five hours and was still then when I left after I was done. Free charge stations are nice, but if they're just being used to park or taken for a whole day but only really charging for a few hours, it seems like the free station should no longer be free. More and more free charge stations are being blocked by EVs which have long finished charging.

How about putting a fee on connected by no longer charging vehicles? Say if a car is connected more than an hour after finishing charging then fees would kick in.
    IMO these blocked chargers are getting significant.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

3. Tharo

Tharo Member

all charge station should be free the first hour, then very expensive.

4. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I don't think you got my point. The point is that charging can be free, but blocking the spot costs.

5. richkae

richkae VIN587

Charging your car should be free. Parking in the spot should cost you money.
    A parking meter is way better than a fancy EVSE with point-of-sale crap in it - plus it will keep the spot from being ICEd.

Parking meters! Parking meters! Parking meters!

6. Tharo

Tharo Member

in a parking where all cars park for free, you can't pay for parking in a charging station, but you can pay for charge (a little).

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You can charge for not unplugging after the free charge is done. It could be debited from your Blink account.

8. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

LOL I've never seen anyone so excited about what many consider to be the bane of urban existence, but I agree with you. Actually I agree with jaanton more but the meters thing was too funny.

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Be careful what you wish for. Studies have shown that charging for stuff can actually backfire by removing the "moral" "do what's right" sense. Day care centers that charge for late pickup have a much more serious problem with late pickups: by putting a price on undesirable behavior, people are able to rationalize their behavior.

I would strongly prefer to see Tesla text msg you when your car is fully charged. The text would be especially powerful if it would say, "other people are waiting to use the supercharger."

10. dnanian

dnanian Member

Even better, the Tesla application can notify you in various ways. No need to use generic texting...