Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for not Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaanton

Roadster NA #1026
Jun 25, 2010
Oakland, CA
I just left a free Blink charge station where a Chevy Volt had been connected for more than five hours and was still then when I left after I was done. Free charge stations are nice, but if they're just being used to park or taken for a whole day but only really charging for a few hours, it seems like the free station should no longer be free. More and more free charge stations are being blocked by EVs which have long finished charging.

How about putting a fee on connected by no longer charging vehicles? Say if a car is connected more than an hour after finishing charging then fees would kick in.
IMO these blocked chargers are getting significant.

Charging your car should be free. Parking in the spot should cost you money.
A parking meter is way better than a fancy EVSE with point-of-sale crap in it - plus it will keep the spot from being ICEd.

Parking meters! Parking meters! Parking meters!

Be careful what you wish for. Studies have shown that charging for stuff can actually backfire by removing the "moral" "do what's right" sense. Day care centers that charge for late pickup have a much more serious problem with late pickups: by putting a price on undesirable behavior, people are able to rationalize their behavior.

I would strongly prefer to see Tesla text msg you when your car is fully charged. The text would be especially powerful if it would say, "other people are waiting to use the supercharger."