Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Frequency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own driving often includes a day or two with little driving, so some days I skip charging, either intentionally or just because I don't happen to plug in when I come back from an errand.
Because I drive so little on most days, my battery often stays in the 60-70% range. Seems like it does it no harm, and might even be healthy, to let it drop into the 50% range before charging. The only real disadvantage is being unable to preheat or precool the car if you are not plugged in.
From what I have read, charging it as high as 90% on a daily basis should be avoided unless it is needed. There seem to be a lot of different opinion on this, however....

This video discusses what i think was the latest round of Tesla's quasi-guidance on this topic.

How often do you charge? I have an 85kwh battery and only drive about 20 miles a day. Is it bad for the battery if I only charge once or twice a week? I charge to about 90%.

My usual commute is around 30-ish miles, so not drastically different from yours. As a general practice, I charge every night in my garage. Assuming it's easy for you to plug in every night, might as well do it just to make it a habit. That way you don't need to consciously think about plugging in, and it reduces the possibility that you might forget at a time when you actually need it.

(Are you in a situation where plugging in every night is hard / inconvenient / more expensive, or are you just asking out of curiosity?)

Bruce.

I drive about 30 miles a day and keep my 2016 75D plugged in to 80% every night in the garage. I’ve got a 50 amp circuit, dialed down to 30amps on my MCU, so it charges at about 15mph. Low charge rate, moderate charge %, I feel like I’ve found a sweet spot for battery life and available miles for an emergency.

My usual commute is around 30-ish miles, so not drastically different from yours. As a general practice, I charge every night in my garage. Assuming it's easy for you to plug in every night, might as well do it just to make it a habit. That way you don't need to consciously think about plugging in, and it reduces the possibility that you might forget at a time when you actually need it.

(Are you in a situation where plugging in every night is hard / inconvenient / more expensive, or are you just asking out of curiosity?)

Bruce.
Single lane driveway with 3 cars. So for me to charge I have to be up close to the garage. I like to keep my truck as the car closest to the garage since I used that vehicle the least. Tesla is last car in driveway and wife's explorer on the street.

Single lane driveway with 3 cars. So for me to charge I have to be up close to the garage. I like to keep my truck as the car closest to the garage since I used that vehicle the least. Tesla is last car in driveway and wife's explorer on the street.

Ummm. This feels like one of those logic puzzles where you have to put the cars in a certain order and you can make only N moves...

In that case, I'd say just do what works for you...the battery should be fine either way.

Bruce.