Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in and around Roswell, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you've charged in Pecos and want to visit Roswell then head to Albuquerque you're a bit stumped for a supercharger to get you there.
20191105_175932.jpg

Thankfully the kind folks at the Town & Country RV park in Roswell let me charge there for free, even gave me wifi codes and access to the restrooms and pool. On the 50amp it took about 5 hours as I was down to 30 miles left, but I left it charging and got a Lyft to the center of town and went exploring for all things UFO related.

So if you're heading to Roswell and need a charge, stop on by and they'll help you out.

Thankfully the kind folks at the Town & Country RV park in Roswell let me charge there for free, even gave me wifi codes and access to the restrooms and pool. On the 50amp it took about 5 hours as I was down to 30 miles left, but I left it charging and got a Lyft to the center of town and went exploring for all things UFO related.

So if you're heading to Roswell and need a charge, stop on by and they'll help you out.

Thanks for the info. Was toying with the idea of taking a road trip there from Sacramento. Any interesting UFO related stops in town ??

Sept 14, 2020.. caution if you’re coming to Roswell. EV chargers are very difficult to find. There’s one at Honda Roswell but it’s going to be removed per ChargePoint and is not currently connected, there’s one at Nissan Roswell but it was out of order and there are 2 Tesla destination chargers at the McDonald’s on Main Street. But if you’re very low on charge they take 7 to 8 hours they are definitely not super chargers.

Sept 14, 2020.. caution if you’re coming to Roswell. EV chargers are very difficult to find. There’s one at Honda Roswell but it’s going to be removed per ChargePoint and is not currently connected, there’s one at Nissan Roswell but it was out of order and there are 2 Tesla destination chargers at the McDonald’s on Main Street. But if you’re very low on charge they take 7 to 8 hours they are definitely not super chargers.
Uhhh... Did anyone ever make a claim that there was a supercharger in Roswell?

BTW, you have the poster above (and many who donated) to thank for the destination chargers at the McDonald's.

Wow.. my first time on this site.. found it while doing a road trip from Texas to California.. saw the post about RV park charger and thought I would just update about the McDonalds chargers... did not expect such a snarky reply.. most Tesla drivers I have met are nice and helpful ... guess I was wrong

• Disagree
Reactions: wreighven
Wow.. my first time on this site.. found it while doing a road trip from Texas to California.. saw the post about RV park charger and thought I would just update about the McDonalds chargers... did not expect such a snarky reply.. most Tesla drivers I have met are nice and helpful ... guess I was wrong

It’s just the internet. It adds ~10lbs of snark.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
You might want to check out this thread, which explains the background of the L2 charge station at McDonalds in Roswell:

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

nwdiver
put a LOT of time, effort and money into that charge station to help with the huge gap in the Supercharger network in SE New Mexico. Many of us are very appreciative of that work and if some of us seem overly sensitive to criticism of that charge station, that's why.

@nwdiver

Came across your go fund me page in search for a charger in Roswell on Plug-share, thanks for what you have done there!

I’m seeing a customer in Roswell NM Tuesday morning… coming from Houston, but making a stop in Midland to see another customer the day prior….there is a SC in Midland and should be fine getting to Roswell NM… BUT I don’t know how to get a full charge over night to be able to return back to the nearest SC heading back to Houston after my visit… All hotels seem to only have a wall outlet???…

I guess my question would be how busy the McDonalds connectors are? Is it possible for me to get a full charge there overnight? Crime? Do you all have Uber or Lyft in town that I could use to get to the hotel? I know somebody mentioned lift but its been a while ago… Any input here is welcomed…

2020 MYP

Thanks!

I guess my question would be how busy the McDonalds connectors are? Is it possible for me to get a full charge there overnight? Crime? Do you all have Uber or Lyft in town that I could use to get to the hotel? I know somebody mentioned lift but its been a while ago… Any input here is welcomed…

You're Welcome :)

They can get a little busy mostly in the evenings around 5-6pm. I think some of the locals like to sit on them for a couple hours. Should be able to get a full charge from empty in ~7 hours, they're full ~72A HPWC @ 240v and your MYP should be able to pull 48A. I've never had a problem with crime there. IIRC it's ~6 blocks from the police station. Not sure about Uber or Lyft.

You're Welcome :)

They can get a little busy mostly in the evenings around 5-6pm. I think some of the locals like to sit on them for a couple hours. Should be able to get a full charge from empty in ~7 hours, they're full ~72A HPWC @ 240v and your MYP should be able to pull 48A. I've never had a problem with crime there. IIRC it's ~6 blocks from the police station. Not sure about Uber or Lyft.

Awesome, I booked a hotel in walking distance so hopefully thats what Ill be able to do… Tesla really should build a SC there regardless, but thats a different topic. Thanks again.

Reactions: sdoorex and nwdiver
Awesome, I booked a hotel in walking distance so hopefully thats what Ill be able to do… Tesla really should build a SC there regardless, but thats a different topic. Thanks again.
I've made a lot of trips like this so I'll chime in with some advice. First, booking a room within walking distance of the charger is good and you already did that. I noticed 1 or 2 hotels right across the street and many hotels 1-1.5 miles away. You want to plug your car in at the McDonald's the first chance you get, just in case the chargers become occupied later. If the chargers are occupied, look to see if someone left a note on their car with their phone number. Some people do this if they are just taking an opportunity charge and they will move for you if you are in greater need of the charge. It's unlikely that both plugs will be occupied all night and overnight, so just check back late at night if they are occupied when you first get there. If the hotel is close enough you could even try to get a room with a view of the chargers, so you can just peek out your window periodically.

If you do find a 110V plug at your hotel, you can use that to top up to 100% for your departure. This will help the drive the next day to be less stressful. Or you could drive home through Pecos, which is slower but also a shorter distance to the supercharger there. Or of course you could drive slower or draft, the latter of which might be tough on these rural highways. It's slightly downhill from Roswell to either Pecos or Midland so that will help you a tiny bit.

I've made a lot of trips like this so I'll chime in with some advice. First, booking a room within walking distance of the charger is good and you already did that. I noticed 1 or 2 hotels right across the street and many hotels 1-1.5 miles away. You want to plug your car in at the McDonald's the first chance you get, just in case the chargers become occupied later. If the chargers are occupied, look to see if someone left a note on their car with their phone number. Some people do this if they are just taking an opportunity charge and they will move for you if you are in greater need of the charge. It's unlikely that both plugs will be occupied all night and overnight, so just check back late at night if they are occupied when you first get there. If the hotel is close enough you could even try to get a room with a view of the chargers, so you can just peek out your window periodically.

If you do find a 110V plug at your hotel, you can use that to top up to 100% for your departure. This will help the drive the next day to be less stressful. Or you could drive home through Pecos, which is slower but also a shorter distance to the supercharger there. Or of course you could drive slower or draft, the latter of which might be tough on these rural highways. It's slightly downhill from Roswell to either Pecos or Midland so that will help you a tiny bit.
Appreciate it! I actually am thinking/debating on driving to Pecos from Midland just given the distance and elevation from Midland (ABRP says I would need to stay below 55MPH)… and Pecos would be my choice driving back to Houston anyways. For time sake, generally don't like to slow down more then I need to, but if it comes down to range… I will as soon as it drops to arrival 3% LOL. 6/26 will mark my 1year ownership of the MYP and in the ~40k miles I put on it thus far… I have not had a situation come along like I am working with in Roswell… usually there is at least a charger at a Hotel or a SC cloe by.

Reactions: nwdiver and PLUS EV
Appreciate it! I actually am thinking/debating on driving to Pecos from Midland just given the distance and elevation from Midland (ABRP says I would need to stay below 55MPH)… and Pecos would be my choice driving back to Houston anyways. For time sake, generally don't like to slow down more then I need to, but if it comes down to range… I will as soon as it drops to arrival 3% LOL. 6/26 will mark my 1year ownership of the MYP and in the ~40k miles I put on it thus far… I have not had a situation come along like I am working with in Roswell… usually there is at least a charger at a Hotel or a SC cloe by.

When you check-in you should definitely make the point that on-site charging would increase the probability you would stay with them again ;)

Reactions: dhrivnak
I used to get regular updates from Francis Energy on the status of their New Mexico EVCS, but I haven’t heard anything since Carrizozo and Clines Corners were brought online.

l’m guessing they’re waiting for more $$ from the infrastructure plan, are having labor issues, and dealing with New Mexicos electrical demand charge rules.