Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in and around Roswell, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bmah another thread to be moved to the supercharger forum...

It looks like aside from the thread title, this thread is all about any kind of charging at all in Roswell. I'm tempted to update the thread title to reflect that, and maybe when there are more definite plans for an actual Supercharger in Roswell someone can start a new thread for that?

Bruce.

EDIT: OK did that change. Hopefully there will be reason to make a "Supercharger - Roswell, NM" thread soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: PLUS EV
EDIT: OK did that change. Hopefully there will be reason to make a "Supercharger - Roswell, NM" thread soon.
Let's hope so. Roswell is right in the middle of a big Supercharger gap, and it's not like it's in some roadless area. Tesla could get lots of publicity if they did it up with a UFO theme. That would be a similar fun factor to the long-awaited Santa Monica CA Supercharger with short-film drive-in theater + restaurant.

Sept 14, 2020.. caution if you’re coming to Roswell. EV chargers are very difficult to find. There’s one at Honda Roswell but it’s going to be removed per ChargePoint and is not currently connected, there’s one at Nissan Roswell but it was out of order and there are 2 Tesla destination chargers at the McDonald’s on Main Street. But if you’re very low on charge they take 7 to 8 hours they are definitely not super chargers.
There is now a ChargPoin+ on 2nd street (chargePoin+ map has it on the wrong side of the street)
Francis Energy has chargers installed at Allsups on 2nd but not online yet

There is now a ChargPoin+ on 2nd street (chargePoin+ map has it on the wrong side of the street)
Francis Energy has chargers installed at Allsups on 2nd but not online yet
ChargePoint (stylized as -chargepoin+) has updated their site to fix the location of their 4-stall DC fast charging station at 4507 W 2nd St in Roswell. It's correctly located on PlugShare as well. On 2023-10-29 PlugShare user SJH reported that ChargePoint charged his credit card an additional $10 for a parking fee after he charged his Model 3 for 11 minutes. User David A replied that this was some sort of "top up" fee ChargePoint does. Seems a bit shady that ChargePoint charges your credit card to make a small loan for themselves. I don't know about other people, but if this is ChargePoint's MO, I'm not interested.

The Francis Energy DC fast charging station at the Allsup's store at 2515 W 2nd St in Roswell is also on PlugShare, and it's got problems. PlugShare users report that there is a Francis Energy app, but evidently right now they require you to use a RFID card that they will send you. No RFID card = no workee. It's unclear if you will always need the RFID card, but a card doesn't scale well. Imagine needing a wallet to hold all your different RFID cards. That would be worse than needing separate phone apps for different charging networks. Another "not interested" location.

If Tesla ever installs a Supercharger in Roswell, these lame alternatives are going to see some real competition, but who knows why Tesla does not yet have a Supercharger in Roswell? On the latest Supercharger Voting Leaderboard, Roswell isn't listed anymore but Ruidoso Downs is. Back in March 2023 Roswell was #129 on the Leaderboard. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

Last edited:
Reactions: DuncanM
^ Chargepoint responded to the dislike of that $10 balance in the account and now allows users to set it as pay-as-you-go. I did that to my account.

FWIW.

I interpreted that as a misunderstanding. He wasn't 'charged' $10. It just moved $10 into his account as a buffer wasn't it? If your finances are running that close to the edge that a $10 'escrow' in your chargepoint account is a problem....

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
I interpreted that as a misunderstanding. He wasn't 'charged' $10. It just moved $10 into his account as a buffer wasn't it? If your finances are running that close to the edge that a $10 'escrow' in your chargepoint account is a problem....
IIRC, it used to be higher a decade ago when I opened my Chargepoint account, $25? I found it annoying because I almost never use charge stations that have a cost. I finally let them charge me the $10 in May so that I could use the Alamosa Library charge station, since there is no free charging in Alamosa at all, that I could find. Don't know when or if I will ever use up the rest of that deposit after two Alamosa charge sessions to take pictures of the Supercharger site. Now that I have a car with double the range, even that charge station is no longer necessary.

Yes, it's $25 to open the account but when you start using it, it will move $$$ from your attached credit card in $10 increments from what I've seen. Not sure why it can't just bill the attached card for the cost of each session.
It can do that. As of a couple of months ago Chargepoint allows the user to select pay-as-you-go:

Account>Payments>Payment Type>Edit>select "Pay As You Go"

When I opened my account a decade ago, I didn't have them put the $25 in my account because I only used the RFID card on free charge stations. As it turned out, free charge stations, of many kinds, are quite abundant in this part of rural Colorado. I've also used free Chargepoint stations in Boulder County, Pueblo, and in Oregon.

Yes, it's $25 to open the account but when you start using it, it will move $$$ from your attached credit card in $10 increments from what I've seen. Not sure why it can't just bill the attached card for the cost of each session.
They do the $10 thing so that you can always get some charge even if your card has expired and/or they cannot communicate with the CC company.

They do the $10 thing so that you can always get some charge even if your card has expired and/or they cannot communicate with the CC company.
You might be viewing the tactic through rose-colored glasses, but you do raise some interesting points. I usually leave a balance with these companies out of laziness, but now I can feel somewhat justified in doing so :)

Reactions: DuncanM
Anyone have recent charging experience in Roswell? I'm interested in routing through there in a couple of months. I think I'm going to have to charge there because I can barely make it from Socorro NM to Pecos TX (Supercharger stations at both) under best-case conditions. An hour on one of the non-networked Level 2 chargers at McDonald's should do the trick, even if I only get 9 kW, and I'll get to enjoy a fabulous meal at the same time. :cool: If I do use it, I probably should make a donation cuz they're providing a sorely-needed service:

Last edited:
Anyone have recent charging experience in Roswell? I'm interested in routing through there in a couple of months. I think I'm going to have to charge there because I can barely make it from Socorro NM to Pecos TX (Supercharger stations at both) under best-case conditions. An hour on one of the free Level 2 chargers at McDonald's should do the trick, even if I only get 9 kW, and I'll get to enjoy a fabulous meal at the same time. :cool:
Just drive through El Paso and Van Horn. Google Maps says it's 1 minute slower than the Roswell route. I can assure you, it will be much faster when you consider the charging times. Also no range anxiety or charger anxiety when you stick to the interstates.

Heh heh, I would do that except I'm not in a hurry, I've been all around but never to Roswell, and I want to see all the fun UFO stuff. :cool: Tesla should consider making a UFO-themed Supercharger in Roswell, just for kicks.
I assume you've seen this thread:

The gofundme link you posted was a result of that thread.

Anyone have recent charging experience in Roswell? I'm interested in routing through there in a couple of months. I think I'm going to have to charge there because I can barely make it from Socorro NM to Pecos TX (Supercharger stations at both) under best-case conditions. An hour on one of the non-networked Level 2 chargers at McDonald's should do the trick, even if I only get 9 kW, and I'll get to enjoy a fabulous meal at the same time. :cool: If I do use it, I probably should make a donation cuz they're providing a sorely-needed service:
I am planning a trip there and I intend to charge at the NMDOT Chargepoint 4 stall CCS1 station (see plugshare ). I charged at a similar station in Deming NM and got ~73kw at ~30% SOC. I'd suggest installing the Chargepoint app on your cellphone in advance. There's also an Allsups convenience store nearby with a Francis Energy 2 stall charging station:

You'll need a CCS1->NACS adapter.

Last edited:
I assume you've seen this thread:

The gofundme link you posted was a result of that thread.
Thanks, yes, I had seen the thread last year but only read part of it. This time I read it all from the beginning to get the full story and this data:

McDonald's Roswell - live 2020,0518, doubled the # of chargers 2022,1113
McDonald's Artesia - live 2021,0714
McDonald's Carlsbad - live 2021,1228

Roswell and Artesia went live before I even had an EV. I took delivery of a 2022 Model 3 on 2021,1220 and 8 days later Carlsbad went live. It's inspiring to see what a small group of people can make happen.

• Informative
Reactions: WarEagleGo