Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging [issues setting charging speed in vehicle]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a non Tesla Smart Charger that was causing a problem by tripping the breaker or going off line. I called the installers to try and get it fixed they eventually came and installed a ground earth link. Since then it has only charged at a maximum of 16 amps. I had reduced the max charging rate to 16 amps in an attempt to prevent the tripping. It had previously charged at 32 amps. I have been complaining to them that it will not charge above 16 amps but got a reply to ask if I had set a max charging rate I thought that I hadn't as I have been able to charge at Super Chargers without a problem. Having read the reply from my installer I looked at the hand book and saw that it said the car would remember the max charging rate at that location. It cant be set higher than 16 amps on the slider. So am I stuck with a maximum charging rate of 16 amps at home or will a power down reset fix the problem or does anyone else know of a way to sort this?

I have a non Tesla Smart Charger that was causing a problem by tripping the breaker or going off line. I called the installers to try and get it fixed they eventually came and installed a ground earth link. Since then it has only charged at a maximum of 16 amps. I had reduced the max charging rate to 16 amps in an attempt to prevent the tripping. It had previously charged at 32 amps. I have been complaining to them that it will not charge above 16 amps but got a reply to ask if I had set a max charging rate I thought that I hadn't as I have been able to charge at Super Chargers without a problem. Having read the reply from my installer I looked at the hand book and saw that it said the car would remember the max charging rate at that location. It cant be set higher than 16 amps on the slider. So am I stuck with a maximum charging rate of 16 amps at home or will a power down reset fix the problem or does anyone else know of a way to sort this?
The car should enable you to set any amperage up to whatever the EVSE supports, even if you'd previously set a lower value. I know I lowered and then raised my Model 3's charge rate once or twice myself, when I was playing with settings. This was soon after I bought my car over two years ago, though, so it's conceivable that there's a bug in whatever software version you're using. I doubt if that's the case, though....

My hunch is that you've set a limit in the EVSE itself, independent of the circuit rating or the settings in the car. You don't say what brand/model EVSE you have, so I can't help you find the relevant setting -- and I wouldn't know for most brands/models, anyhow, but somebody might. Some EVSEs have a physical setting (DIP switches, a dial, etc.) that can be used to adjust the maximum amperage. Others, with network connections, enable doing this via an app or Web interface; this is how the JuiceBox units work, for instance. Some are permanently fixed at one setting, but my hunch is that yours is adjustable, and it's been set incorrectly.

If the problem is in the car, then I doubt if a system reset (holding both scroll wheels down on the steering wheel) would help, but you could always try that -- it only takes half a minute or so. It's more likely that a full reset to factory defaults would help -- but this would cause you to lose all you settings, so I don't recommend you start with this. Investigate the possibility of a mis-configured EVSE first.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Upvote 0
The "remember charging speed for location" refers to the car remembering how fast it charged at that location previously. That setting isnt relevant at superchargers. if you cant move the slider higher than 16 amps, its not because of that setting as that setting does not prevent one from charging faster at a location as long as the infrastructure will do so.

So, actually, your statement that @MaskedRacerX statement is "irrelevant" is actually incorrect, because its absolutely relevant how fast the circuit is your car is setup for. If you cant charge faster than 16amps its because either the car has an issue with one of its 2 onboard chargers (if an SR+) or 3 onboard chargers (if LR / P), OR because the charger itself is only presenting 16 amps as available to the vehicle.

Sorry MaskedRaiderX, that's irrelevant. The question is "will a power reset get rid of the maximum charging current at my home location"?

Since you want a direct answer to this question only, and apparently are not interested in people attempting to troubleshoot this with you to help you, the answer to this question as it relates to the information you provided is "No". Since the slider is not present, you are not dealing with the power save setting.

Upvote 0
The car should enable you to set any amperage up to whatever the EVSE supports
Correcting myself: The slider should go up to the minimum of what the EVSE and the car supports. For instance, on a Model 3 SR/SR+/MR, the car's limit is 32A, IIRC, so if you were charging on a 48A EVSE, the car's limit would still be 32A; but if you were charging any Model 3 on a 24A EVSE, that would be the limit shown in the car's display. As @jjrandorin suggests, too, the Model 3 contains two (SR/SR+/MR) or three (LR) chargers, each of which can handle up to 16A by itself; if one of them fails, the charge limit will be reduced. (A fact that slipped my mind when I composed my reply, so thanks to @jjrandorin for pointing it out.) As I noted in my reply, some EVSEs support lowering their limit. Thus, there are two likely causes of your problem: A reduced charge rate in your EVSE or a failed charger on the car. You can try finding a public EVSE that can charge faster than the 16A you're getting to test which of these is the case; or you can poke around in your EVSE's settings to try to find a limit you've accidentally set.

Upvote 0
I don't know the answer to your question, and what I say next won't help you but might help someone in the future. I got the Tesla charger to help avoid having those questions to answer. I figured if there were a problem like this, or damage to the car, Tesla would have to integrate the systems and answer my question. Also, at least in the US, the Tesla charger was less expensive than many other brands. My first one did not charge at the full rate, so Tesla replaced it; in discussions with them it sounded like there were a number of devices with problems.

Upvote 0
What's the load spec on the circuit itself? If your max charge rate on the EVSE is 32a, it should be at least 40a. Is that hardwired? If it's a receptacle, you could always get the proper adapter for the Tesla Mobile adapter (assuming that's included with cars in the UK).
So I did the power reset and it’s back charging at full capacity. Only problem now is the car is now back in California and can’t navigate in the UK. I’ll call Tesla and hopefully there won’t be a long queue.

Upvote 0
I have only the 240 outlet, and had a reduced rate/overheating situation for several months. Every time I’d charge, I’d get notifications of reduced charging (down to 4 amps, from 32) and overheating at the wall outlet. I tried reseating the breaker, tightening the leads at the outlet and at the breaker, removing and completely replacing the breaker. Nothing helped. Finally I realized inside the outlet one of the prong receptacles was a little loose. It wasnt gripping that prong completely. I tightened it, and I haven’t had a problem since. Full charge rate every time.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy7
Upvote 0