Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging LR AWD M3 at 120v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my LR AWD Model 3 and I have a question for those who may know. I don't get my 14-50 NEMA install until August 30th so I'm stuck with using the garage 120v until then. I plugged it up when I got home and it started charging with the indicator telling me that it was 12/12a and would be charging at 5 mrph. It did that for a while and then the green charging port went away. Is the green T from the charging port supposed to stay on while charging? Does it turn on and off as needed? I though something might be wrong so I lowered the amps to 8/12a. Should I go back to the 12/12a or leave at 8/12a? Thanks for any assistance.

I think if the car is locked the green light will stop flashing but it's still charging.
Ok, thanks. I believe that’s what it was doing. The Tesla app now says ‘Charge Completed’ and its at 80%. When I picked it up from delivery it has 199 range. I had them give it a full charge and it stopped at 307. I have a 55 mile ride from the SC and I didn’t want it to get too low due to me only being able to use 120v at the moment. I reset the SoC to 80% when I got home for now as this should work for my daily driving. Just curious should I set my charging amps at 8a or the max of 12a while using my 120v outlet?

Keeping it at 12A is perfectly fine. Tesla respects the 80% continuous load safety rating, and thus is only letting you pull 12A instead of 15A which the plug is otherwise designed for.

Now, that said, do make sure that it's the only thing powered on that circuit while charging or you'll trip the breaker (and this is only an inconvenience, not a safety risk).

Keeping it at 12A is perfectly fine. Tesla respects the 80% continuous load safety rating, and thus is only letting you pull 12A instead of 15A which the plug is otherwise designed for.

Now, that said, do make sure that it's the only thing powered on that circuit while charging or you'll trip the breaker (and this is only an inconvenience, not a safety risk).
My garage outlets and the breakfast nook outlets are on the same circuit, a 20a breaker. The only things plugged into the breakfast nook are a hot/cold water cooler and an led night light. So, back to your 80% continuous load. The breaker is 20amp so 80% would be 16a, correct? When I plugged in to charge the car maxed out at 12amp on its own. Why would it not max out at 16amp which is 80% of 20amp?

...Why...

Because you need to buy another plug for 20A 120V circuit, called NEMA 5-20:

Notice that one blade is vertical and the other is horizontal (on the right below).

Make sure your outlet can accommodate the horizontal blade or you need to wire your system correctly for NEMA 5-20 (on the left below):

p104784d.jpg

Last edited:
My garage outlets and the breakfast nook outlets are on the same circuit, a 20a breaker. The only things plugged into the breakfast nook are a hot/cold water cooler and an led night light. So, back to your 80% continuous load. The breaker is 20amp so 80% would be 16a, correct? When I plugged in to charge the car maxed out at 12amp on its own. Why would it not max out at 16amp which is 80% of 20amp?

You used the NEMA 5-15 adapter. The charger knows which adapter you plug in, but otherwise nothing about your circuit (nor could it infer anything else reliably). NEMA 5-15 is rated for 15A max, so this is why it pulls 12A (80% of 15A).

I am not an electrician so do not take my word for it, but the nominal draw from your water device is likely less than 4A. It's worth checking the ratings that are probably somewhere on it. The max draw is likely 12 or 15A though.

Notice that one blade is vertical and the other is horizontal. Make sure your outlet can accommodate the horizontal blade or you need to wire your outlet correctly for NEMA 5-20:

Yup, this is exactly right. It's the only way you'll be able to take full advantage of your 20 amp circuit.

I have three separate 20 amp circuits in my garage, but unfortunately the electrician went cheap on the outlets, using a standard 15a outlet rather than one designed for the full 20 amps.

Notice that one blade is vertical and the other is horizontal. Make sure your outlet can accommodate the horizontal blade or you need to wire your outlet correctly for NEMA 5-20:

Whatever plug adapter that came with the car is the one I’m using. I’m guessing it’s 5-15 so like another person said that’s why it’s maxing at 12amps. So, for this week, until my 14-50 NEMA gets installed I can go ahead and put the setting back to 12a. Is that correct?

...setting back to 12a. Is that correct?

Yes. That is correct.

If your breaker trips, make sure there's nothing else using that circuit.

...Is the green T from the charging port supposed to stay on while charging?...

No. Not all the time.

...Does it turn on and off as needed?...

Yes

...I though something might be wrong so I lowered the amps to 8/12a...

No.

...leave at 8/12a?

No.

Yes, you're good for 12a, depending on what else is on the circuit.

-If- you are truly on a 20a circuit (check the breaker) and if the electrician only installed a double 15a double face panel (which is allowed by code, btw) , you can buy a small $7 5-15 to 5-20 adapter plug from Amazon or elsewhere to turn half of that 5-15 receptacle into a 20a 5-20 outlet. Combined with the 5-20 charging adapter you also need to buy from Tesla, that will get you 16a draw and will bump you from 4-5 mph charge rate to 6-7 mph. It may or may not be worth that to you, seeing that you have a 14-50 coming. Don't do it unless you've confirmed it's a 20 amp circuit.

Yes, you're good for 12a, depending on what else is on the circuit.

-If- you are truly on a 20a circuit (check the breaker) and if the electrician only installed a double 15a double face panel (which is allowed by code, btw) , you can buy a small $7 5-15 to 5-20 adapter plug from Amazon or elsewhere to turn half of that 5-15 receptacle into a 20a 5-20 outlet. Combined with the 5-20 charging adapter you also need to buy from Tesla, that will get you 16a draw and will bump you from 4-5 mph charge rate to 6-7 mph. It may or may not be worth that to you, seeing that you have a 14-50 coming. Don't do it unless you've confirmed it's a 20 amp circuit.

I think you also need to make sure the correct size for current the wire too.

Standard 5-15 outlet does not require thicker wire as 5-20 does.

So did the electrician placed in the thicker or thinner wire?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your insight as I try to read and learn as much as I can without bothering y’all too much. The minimum breakers in my 200amp panel is 20a. I don’t have any 15a. House was built in 2004 and we just moved in about 3 weeks ago. Attached are a couple of pics if anyone wants to see what I’m dealing with. Thanks.

Attachments

• B85F75B3-BD34-4A34-A807-A4E39F7D3C8D.jpeg
    B85F75B3-BD34-4A34-A807-A4E39F7D3C8D.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 02887498-C9DD-4E17-AFD8-854C67D5F797.jpeg
    02887498-C9DD-4E17-AFD8-854C67D5F797.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 58
  • 3A1BBEBB-9D7F-4480-A695-F7E0BD62CFD4.jpeg
    3A1BBEBB-9D7F-4480-A695-F7E0BD62CFD4.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 53
It all looks OK, with as much as you showed us. 20a breaker and 12 AWG wiring. You should check the wiring behind the acual outlet faceplate, but it's probably not different. However, given that you have a water heating element on that circuit, and it's just temporary, I'd just live with the 5-15 adapter rather than try to get to 16a charging.

I just picked up my LR AWD Model 3 and I have a question for those who may know. I don't get my 14-50 NEMA install until August 30th so I'm stuck with using the garage 120v until then. I plugged it up when I got home and it started charging with the indicator telling me that it was 12/12a and would be charging at 5 mrph. It did that for a while and then the green charging port went away. Is the green T from the charging port supposed to stay on while charging? Does it turn on and off as needed? I though something might be wrong so I lowered the amps to 8/12a. Should I go back to the 12/12a or leave at 8/12a? Thanks for any assistance.

You are in great shape. Because it is a 20A circuit and you do have other things plugged into it, you don't want to switch to a 20A adapter (plus why would you, you have to order and wait, may get the 50A first)

You may want to look at the water cooler and see how much it pulls. and then back the car down a little until they total 20A.

It all looks OK, with as much as you showed us. 20a breaker and 12 AWG wiring. You should check the wiring behind the acual outlet faceplate, but it's probably not different. However, given that you have a water heating element on that circuit, and it's just temporary, I'd just live with the 5-15 adapter rather than try to get to 16a charging.
Thanks Dave. This is just for a week so I can live with whatever the plug can handle/lets me charge with.

You are in great shape. Because it is a 20A circuit and you do have other things plugged into it, you don't want to switch to a 20A adapter (plus why would you, you have to order and wait, may get the 50A first)

You may want to look at the water cooler and see how much it pulls. and then back the car down a little until they total 20A.
I just have the water cooler now as theonly thing plugged in the breakfast nook area. It's rated at 115v, 60Hz, 6a. So, that and the 12a for the M3 should hopefully work without any hiccups. Or should I dial the car down to 10a since 80% of 20a is 16a?