Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging my Raven Model X at a Version 3 supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if the V1/2 is half or more than half full?
Of course I’ll use the V3. At the popular location in the middle of California it’s not like cars use the stalls best suited for their cars. I see plenty of pre-Raven Xs and S that can’t take advantage of the V3 being plugged in. Then again, is there even a huge advantage? But these days even on weekends it seems to be every other stall is empty.

Would be nice to see the X charging speed graphs from say 10% SOC to 80% at v3 vs. unpaired v2.

I’ll take screen shots when I make our trip in August.

Reactions: Zorg
Of course I’ll use the V3. At the popular location in the middle of California it’s not like cars use the stalls best suited for their cars. I see plenty of pre-Raven Xs and S that can’t take advantage of the V3 being plugged in. Then again, is there even a huge advantage? But these days even on weekends it seems to be every other stall is empty.

I’ll take screen shots when I make our trip in August.

It's not just Ravens that can exceed 150kW. My 2017 can too (see picture at 164kW), and I'm not alone. The announcement said Ravens, but in the wild, it covered lots of earlier cars too. There are other threads on this site discussing it.

MS-164kW.PNG

Reactions: pilotSteve
It's not just Ravens that can exceed 150kW. My 2017 can too (see picture at 164kW), and I'm not alone. The announcement said Ravens, but in the wild, it covered lots of earlier cars too. There are other threads on this site discussing it.

View attachment 570316
Ah I didn’t know that. I’m referring to even older cars like pre-facelift Model S. Can they do anything above what a V2 charger offers?

Ah I didn’t know that. I’m referring to even older cars like pre-facelift Model S. Can they do anything above what a V2 charger offers?

Not to my knowledge, no. I believe the battery packs for the 100 kWh cars were changed somewhere in 2017 and the newer ones can exceed 150 kW charging. I will say, it really make zero effective difference in charging times in my experience. Going from 120 to 150 was much more significant.

As @DCGOO points out, v3's biggest advantage is not sharing the power.

The chargers where I live are never full, but when I've been on a road trip where they are full, I can see that being very frustrating. Where I am, I wish they allowed charging at L2 speeds as long as less than 50% of the chargers were being used (or that they put in some L2 chargers alongside the Superchargers) because it's more convenient when I'm in the mall, and because it's better for the batteries anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDRVSLO
Revisiting the strong tapering to 90KW on a v3. I charged at a v3 before, but starting from high 20s, maybe low 30s % SOC. If I recall, I reached a max power in the low 100s KW but the tapering was more normalized and kept charging was in the low 100s KW past 50%. I would have to redo it again to confirm it. If true, it does not make the 200KW charging power that appealing.

Reactions: IDRVSLO
Here is a newer video I made.
If you check out my post in this thread of my July 2019 Raven performance with same battery, I arrived at the V3 with 31% and quickly went up to 193. I’m thinking maybe it was just too hot out and the car couldn’t keep the battery temp in the sweet spot and just needed to dial it back. It was end of May in Kitchener Ontario so the weather was in the high 60s - low 70s. If I arrived with lower SOC I probably could’ve gotten 200 just as long or longer than you.