Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging optimization during road trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anything Tesla or 3rd party applications / organizations that provide suggestions for charging stations for the most efficient use of time during trips that also takes into considering how long you can wait at each charge? I believe Tesla is working on an integrated way of doing this on the Supercharger network but the majority of drivers (aside from California) won’t have access to them and there’s still a lot of areas they won’t cover but other charging stations exist. I live in Atlanta and often take business trips to Birmingham, AL on I-20.

For example, say there is a 150 mile trip and you are fully charged with a range of 120 miles. And, there is a charging station at your final destination which you have time to leave it. I’m looking for something that shows all the stations, but suggests “don’t stop at the one that is half-way, since it will take 2 hours to charge, but stop at the one that is in 120 miles, charge for 15 minutes to get you 30 more miles then do the full charge at final destination.

I know there are 3rd party organizations and sites that keep track of charging stations but I haven’t found any that calculate the most effective use of time with your trip.

I don't believe there's an App for that, but it's pretty easy to figure out that you want to charge at the place that has the highest rate of charge--that will always be the most effective in terms of time unless it's a very busy station with waits. I'm not sure an App would do any better, and at least some of the charging station Apps have a filter that lets you find how many amps that station has.