Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it won't. And there is an interesting thing in the manual that talks about this. It doesn't immediately start charging when the power comes back in, to prevent this situation where there may be many Teslas in a neighborhood in some places and they all start a really heavy draw as soon as power is back. So when the car detects that charging power is connected again, it waits for a random amount of time up to a few minutes I think before restarting charging to make sure it doesn't slam the grid as soon as it comes back on.

No, it won't. And there is an interesting thing in the manual that talks about this. It doesn't immediately start charging when the power comes back in, to prevent this situation where there may be many Teslas in a neighborhood in some places and they all start a really heavy draw as soon as power is back. So when the car detects that charging power is connected again, it waits for a random amount of time up to a few minutes I think before restarting charging to make sure it doesn't slam the grid as soon as it comes back on.
I found this explanation on Page 8 of the Gen3 Wall Connector Manual:

Power Outages - If there is a power outage while Wall Connector is charging a vehicle, charging will automatically resume
within 1 to 3 minutes after power restoration. The Wall Connector will display a solid blue light on the face plate to indicate that it is communicating with the vehicle and waiting to resume charging. Alternatively, pressing the button on the charging handle after power restoration will cause Wall Connector to resume charging immediately.

I could not find similar statements regarding power outages for the Gen2 Mobile Connector or in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Greetings,

My model Y is still on order and I have stupid question.
During the storm if you lose power to the house and when the power turns back , can it damage the car with power spike ?
Another risk while plugged in during an electrical storm is damage from a close lightning strike. The risk of this occurring is low but the potential impact (damage to the Tesla vehicle's electrical systems is high.) You do the math.

There are whole house surge protectors that can be installed at the service panel. No surge protector can be guaranteed to protect 100% of the time. The only way to be certain is to unplug any electrical devices that could be damaged.

I rank the things that I unplug during a storm according to their replacement cost and importance:

1) Tesla vehicle
2) laptop computer, printer
3) flat screen TVs
4) various appliances
5) ceiling fan wall control switch
6) router (these days I leave the router plugged in but it is plugged into a good quality surge protector.)

It is kind of a PITA to unplug these devices every time a storm is within 5 miles of my home but I have experienced damage to electronics equipment in the past so for me it is an easy decision to unplug.