Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged in or not plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We charge our 2022 MYLR to an 80% level when it gets down to ~30%. The car remains unplugged otherwise. As such, the average SOC is ~55%, which I believe is better for battery life than keeping it charged to 80% every day. Also, less wear and tear on the charge port and plug. As always, YMMV.

Reactions: jefferrrson
Yesterday, my model Y LR app warned me that I should charge immediately (my car was at 8% SoC)? Why would it be so important?
It's basically to keep you from being stranded, and there are a couple of reasons at play:
1. The voltage level versus state of charge has a very steep drop down near the bottom, so it can run down quicker than you expect with the same amount of consumption and be a bit surprising.
2. The car's energy estimation does take into account the battery's temperature, because it can output more energy when warm. So if you park with it showing 8%, and then it sits for a few hours and gets cold, it might show 5% when you get back in, and it's reading the battery cold. And couple that with reason #1, that drop can be kind of quick and significant in those bottom single digit percentages.

So they're trying to save people from expecting to use all of that energy several hours later, and it ends up being less the next time they get in the car, and...oops.

I think this charging thing and preconditioning is more geared towards cold weather and winter months. Maybe starting from late November to end of April are the months where you would like to keep the car preconditioned and plugged. When the weather turns warm I don't see the need. Also everyday thing in winter might be a good idea but not necessary, you can always go a couple of nights without that. But cold starts does affect it and I have seen it on my MYP. The major advantage of this preconditioning on the grid is to have regen braking available in colder months. Don't want to deplete the brake pads, which can be a costly thing.
Also with Hybrid cars, I have seen the same, that in the summer months the car's average is hovering around 31mpg and as soon as we go into colder months it drops down to almost 24 or less. but you cannot charge a simple Hybrid car :)

The major advantage of this preconditioning on the grid is to have regen braking available in colder months. Don't want to deplete the brake pads, which can be a costly thing.
FWIW, my S spent it's life parked outside in NH winters, sometimes plugged in, sometimes not. There's a steep downhill leading to a T intersection leaving my neighborhood, which almost always means using the (friction) brakes every day in the winter.

My brakes had to be replaced at around 120k because of rust buildup on the rotors, ie, lack of use.

Unless you live on the top of a mountain and need to regen all the way down, I wouldn't overthink this. I little brake use can actually extend their life (preventing rust buildup).

Reactions: easyev