Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging short with NEMA 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not on that wire. Code is referring to solid or much coarser stranded cables.
This is a flexible "appliance" cable and code doesn't really apply to it. More like UL thing than a Code thing.

If you want to use a wire nut on something like that go right ahead.

What type of cable is it? Actually, as far as UL goes, that goes out the window the moment you cut the plug off.

What type of cable is it? Actually, as far as UL goes, that goes out the window the moment you cut the plug off.

I agree as far as UL goes. I have not personally cut a Juice Box pigtail off. But most of those high gauge flexible cable (not romex flexible) is usually very high strand count, they have to be. It's not like the stranded wire you run in walls (romex, conduit, THHN) that might be 8 strands of (solid copper). That stuff is usually like 250 strands, It's like hair. I have cut into, modified my fair share of big cables and that's what you will likely find.

The picture I linked is "6 AWG Flexible Welding" cable. Electric Welders are often 14-50 appliances. I believe a 14-50 JuiceBox pigtail cable will be very similar.

There might be other convenient ways to terminate it and mate it to the 8 strand stuff.

I wouldn't even want to put the high strand count stuff under a screw terminal (like on the back of the 14-50 outlet). It won't make a good contact. The stuff is too soft. You want to crimp something on to it.

BTW, looking around at the JuiceBox it looks like some or most models can be PigTail/14-50 plug installed or Hardwired (Different Cable). Some of the JuiceBoxes appear to supply BOTH the pigtail cable and the hardwire kit cable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I agree as far as UL goes. I have not personally cut a Juice Box pigtail off. But most of those high gauge flexible cable (not romex flexible) is usually very high strand count, they have to be. It's not like the stranded wire you run in walls (romex, conduit, THHN) that might be 8 strands of (solid copper). That stuff is usually like 250 strands, It's like hair. I have cut into, modified my fair share of big cables and that's what you will likely find.

The picture I linked is "6 AWG Flexible Welding" cable. Electric Welders are often 14-50 appliances. I believe a 14-50 JuiceBox pigtail cable will be very similar.

There might be other convenient ways to terminate it and mate it to the 8 strand stuff.

I wouldn't even want to put the high strand count stuff under a screw terminal (like on the back of the 14-50 outlet). It won't make a good contact. The stuff is too soft. You want to crimp something on to it.

BTW, looking around at the JuiceBox it looks like some or most models can be PigTail/14-50 plug installed or Hardwired (Different Cable). Some of the JuiceBoxes appear to supply BOTH the pigtail cable and the hardwire kit cable.

I meant to come back and post. It looks like it is type MTW. At least Ideal wirenuts are not rated for use with MTW wire.

Reactions: mswlogo