Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed help plz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I got my M3 long range yesterday. A few issues such as misaligned door trim and glass roof but Have booked an appointment for Tesla service.
I am using my type 2 wall charger which was for Passat GTE. It is pod point and suppose to support 3kw and also 7kw charging. I plugged the M3 this morning when it had 140 miles and it said it would be 8.5 hours for it to get to 250 miles. Is that not very slow for 7w?
How do I find what kw power is being used?
Thank you

Have you checked what amps it's pulling? Podpoint usually run at 30amp. Your charging screen will show if it's pulling 7kw.

The Podpoint could be set at 3kw - have a look at your charging screen with the heater switched off.

Hi I got my M3 long range yesterday. A few issues such as misaligned door trim and glass roof but Have booked an appointment for Tesla service.
I am using my type 2 wall charger which was for Passat GTE. It is pod point and suppose to support 3kw and also 7kw charging. I plugged the M3 this morning when it had 140 miles and it said it would be 8.5 hours for it to get to 250 miles. Is that not very slow for 7w?
How do I find what kw power is being used?
Thank you
That does sound low for a 7 kW charger. As Mr H said, I'd double check what it thinks the current draw is.

I have just tried to change the current in the screen but the Max is 20a. The plus symbol beside it is greyed out. I can reduce it but not increase it :(
if it says 20A/20A then that means that the charger is only offering 20A and the car is drawing the full 20A.
Sounds like the issue is at the charger end. There is nothing more you can do from the car

Reactions: ACarneiro
Don't go changing dip switches unless you know the rest of the installation (wiring, breakers etc) are up to it.

This ! Start at your consumer unit and main fuse. Firstly, do you know what your overall main fuse rating is ? Some are as low as 40A for the entire property (older installations), lots are 60, then 80/100 for newer builds.

Once you know this (don't try and remove it, you may have to ask your distribution company to inspect / replace with higher rated fuse), then you can move onto the consumer unit.

Is your install wired in separately form the groups of fuses on the board - or is it included in one of the groups ? This has an impact on regular high-amps charging as you could find the lights dim or things trip if it's wired in alongside for example an electric cooker hob in the same RCD/Trip switch grouping. Hopefully your sparky didn't go that route.

Now check the fuse rating on the trip switch or your EV charge circuit, the last 2 digits on the model number tell you the rating - ith will either be 40, 32 or 16 at a guess.

If it's 16, then you should expect to only charge at max 12-14 for longer charge periods and your pod point should have dip switches set within this range

If 32, then the pod point 30 limit makes sense - again need to check pod point dip switches.

If 40, same as 32 given the pod point 30A max limitation previously mentioned.

If your EV charger circuit shares current draw with other electrical devices, for example external wall sockets, other house/garage/garden/outbuilding electrics then set the pod point at a sensible dip switch setting in case of multiple consumer draws against the single 40/32A circuit.

None of this is helped by every house/supply/consumer unit being different in terms of historical first install / subsequent additions.

If you find yourself limited by any of the constraints above it is time to start form the beginning and get the start>end ampage ratings aligned properly to 30A charging, or consider how important higher charging rates are to you .....

• Love
Reactions: Glasgowwhite
This ! Start at your consumer unit and main fuse. Firstly, do you know what your overall main fuse rating is ? Some are as low as 40A for the entire property (older installations), lots are 60, then 80/100 for newer builds.

Once you know this (don't try and remove it, you may have to ask your distribution company to inspect / replace with higher rated fuse), then you can move onto the consumer unit.

Is your install wired in separately form the groups of fuses on the board - or is it included in one of the groups ? This has an impact on regular high-amps charging as you could find the lights dim or things trip if it's wired in alongside for example an electric cooker hob in the same RCD/Trip switch grouping. Hopefully your sparky didn't go that route.

Now check the fuse rating on the trip switch or your EV charge circuit, the last 2 digits on the model number tell you the rating - ith will either be 40, 32 or 16 at a guess.

If it's 16, then you should expect to only charge at max 12-14 for longer charge periods and your pod point should have dip switches set within this range

If 32, then the pod point 30 limit makes sense - again need to check pod point dip switches.

If 40, same as 32 given the pod point 30A max limitation previously mentioned.

If your EV charger circuit shares current draw with other electrical devices, for example external wall sockets, other house/garage/garden/outbuilding electrics then set the pod point at a sensible dip switch setting in case of multiple consumer draws against the single 40/32A circuit.

None of this is helped by every house/supply/consumer unit being different in terms of historical first install / subsequent additions.

If you find yourself limited by any of the constraints above it is time to start form the beginning and get the start>end ampage ratings aligned properly to 30A charging, or consider how important higher charging rates are to you .....
That's very useful. Thank you. I have contacted the pod point initial installer as they did the whole electrical work as well. I just wanted to make sure the car was not the problem