Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging spots are not parking spots!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Informative
Reactions: diesel
So this was a question I had. There are 6 plus EV parking and charging spots at the airport. I've asked around and most cars there are parking and not also charging. A sign even says EV Parking only others will be towed.
So would it be wrong to park the Tesla there for a few days while on a trip?
Thx

So this was a question I had. There are 6 plus EV parking and charging spots at the airport. I've asked around and most cars there are parking and not also charging. A sign even says EV Parking only others will be towed.
So would it be wrong to park the Tesla there for a few days while on a trip?
Thx
Airport parking is an exception because it is assumed that anyone parking there has flown away and won't be back that day (except perhaps if it's a designated short term lot). This is why many advocate for a bank of 120V outlets rather than J1772s-- it could service more cars for less money. So park there if you need the charge, but of course don't park in one of those spaces if you don't need the charge. That would be obnoxious.

Airport parking is an exception because it is assumed that anyone parking there has flown away and won't be back that day (except perhaps if it's a designated short term lot). This is why many advocate for a bank of 120V outlets rather than J1772s-- it could service more cars for less money. So park there if you need the charge, but of course don't park in one of those spaces if you don't need the charge. That would be obnoxious.
This is exactly what PDX (Portland) has done...two rather large banks of level 1 chargers which are perfect for charging over the several days you're away. Unfortunately, even those two pretty large banks get filled up easily when people are gone for a while, and there's not much turnover.

this is where airport authorities are missing the boat regarding the needs of ev drivers. assuming that a good number of travelers will be parking for more and a day or two, L2 chargers really aren't essential. what would be nice to see airports install are banks of park places with 110 plugs. while away for a few days, the 110 outlets are sufficient to charge and are can be installed at a very low cost.

SFO has banks of 120V outlets located near the elevators of its long term parking structure, about 10 spots per floor. Some authorities see the benefit of low cost power plugs for EV parking for days.
I'd be uncomfortable leaving my expensive EVSE in an airport parking lot for days at at a time. Any problems with theft or vandalism?

I'd rather see banks of relatively inexpensive 120V J1772 EVSEs at airports.