Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stations in residential neighborhoods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is the right forum, but... I live in a residential neighborhood and have no driveway or garage to install a home charging station. It looks like I will have to cross the sidewalk to put the charging station beside the street, possibly having to tear up and replace the sidewalk after installing the charging station. Does anyone have experience with such a situation and can offer any suggestions?

Go talk to your city's planning department and building department. The sidewalk and any green strip between the sidewalk and the roadway are likely in a right of way controlled by the city. You will definitely have to get permission and it will likely be more than a simple building permit.

I don't know if this is the right forum, but... I live in a residential neighborhood and have no driveway or garage to install a home charging station. It looks like I will have to cross the sidewalk to put the charging station beside the street, possibly having to tear up and replace the sidewalk after installing the charging station. Does anyone have experience with such a situation and can offer any suggestions?

The City of Berkley, CA has a pilot program for this (see below link). I would say that unless Raleigh, NC is VERY progressive in environmental issues, you are facing a tough battle to get permission to install a curb-side private EV charging station. Perhaps you could take your case (using Berkley as an example) to the planning commission, environmental commission (if they have one), and/or city council.

I wouldn't hold my breathe, however.

http://www.cityofberkeley.info/uplo...velopment/Manual with attachments 12-1-14.pdf

There is a thread on this forum that described a curbside charging station installed by an individual for his Model S. He showed pictures of his installation. I don't recall if he had to deal with permits, etc. I did a quick search but did not find the thread. Perhaps someone whose memory is sharper than mine can remember that thread.

There is a thread on this forum that described a curbside charging station installed by an individual for his Model S. He showed pictures of his installation. I don't recall if he had to deal with permits, etc. I did a quick search but did not find the thread. Perhaps someone whose memory is sharper than mine can remember that thread.

It is HIGHLY likely that this installation is illegal, and in violation of code.

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

One thing that might be important is all you need is a 14-50 outlet. Asking the city if you can install an "outlet" is a lot different than a "station" in terms of what people are familiar with and how it looks.

You could say it is for and RV when family comes or something that is more familiar and possibly less political.

No great words of advice but some clarity just for those that might have ideas. This is a public spot right? Obviously someone in local government handles all the public stations - so I'd find them and give them a call. If you are looking for a private install, who would pay the electricity? You - a home owner? How would you lock it? What would you do when someone else parks there?