Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stops at 6am

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the idea of Scheduled Departure was that the car would be warm and the batteries pre-conditioned for your departure time. Why, then, no matter what departure time you set, does the charge always end by 6am? I know, if you set 9am, the car then heats up at that time, but surely it would make more sense to also end the charge at 9am so that the battery is warm too?

I'm not on any special EV tarriff so there's no financial advantage to ending charging before 6am but I can't see any way to change the charging end time in the car or app.

Is this another "feature" (bug!) like cruise control setting your speed to the maximum speed limit instead of your current speed!

Reactions: Gasaraki
its cause Tesla thinks that everyone's tou rates end at 6am and they just defaulted to that for no reason, I guess. I'm not entirely sure why they did that I just want to be able to schedule my charging. I just ended up seeing how long my car would take to charge, when I would need to leave by and then just setting the car to start charging so that it would end 30 minutes before id leave.

its cause Tesla thinks that everyone's tou rates end at 6am and they just defaulted to that for no reason, I guess. I'm not entirely sure why they did that I just want to be able to schedule my charging. I just ended up seeing how long my car would take to charge, when I would need to leave by and then just setting the car to start charging so that it would end 30 minutes before id leave.

I could do the same but then I would also have to manually start the a/c to warm the car as the Tesla does not have an a/c timer (the car warming function is only part of the scheduled departure process).

Reactions: Fadiawesome
its cause Tesla thinks that everyone's tou rates end at 6am and they just defaulted to that for no reason, I guess. I'm not entirely sure why they did that I just want to be able to schedule my charging.

California TOU Super-off-peak ends at 6am. So they hacked it in.

My 2013 Volt has a programmable schedule with peak and off-peak, and separate settings for weekdays and weekends.
And then you can then set it to charge off-peak, or off-peak and departure time.

In the future Tesla will make the excuse that they knew smart charging was the future so they didn't want to waste time.