Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, the MC240

Tesla Motors - charging

MC240.jpg

MC240_male.jpg

MC240_female.jpg

Personal thing - but I'd prefer a range of brighter, possibly matching/clashing cable colours to make the MCC really stand out.

For both safety and as an EV statement.

Why go to all the trouble of getting a vanity license plate to declare your independence from oil only to use a discrete black charge cable?

Personal thing - but I'd prefer a range of brighter, possibly matching/clashing cable colours to make the MCC really stand out.

For both safety and as an EV statement.

Why go to all the trouble of getting a vanity license plate to declare your independence from oil only to use a discrete black charge cable?
On the other hand do you want to advertise a $1500 cable to possible thieves?

On the other hand do you want to advertise a $1500 cable to possible thieves?
That is an interesting issue. Some might take it just for the copper. Should the car alarm be tied into the status of the charging cable? Seems like a recipe for annoyance.

The Model S with it's 3G connection should be able to send you an email (perhaps with a photo) if there's such a problem.

Last edited:
The prissy folks who don't like the idea of carrying around a dirty cable will be turned off when they see the grime that will quickly show up on a bright yellow (or orange) cable.

A black cable will appear to stay cleaner. You don't want to bring down the "package" of a shiny new EV.

Thieves steal $1,500 airbags (600 per week nationally) grabbing extension cords for resale will be a no brainer for them (most have no brains anyways). Copper theft is also huge with theives gutting cel towers, junction boxes and phone lines. In South Africa I saw artisans creating beautiful woven tapestries, bowls and creatures all out of colorful purloined telephone wire.

We know that some of the charging stations have locking door to prevent theft but maybe the EV makers need a physical or electronic lock on the car side.

So if it has to go down to the floor and up to the socket on the wall I guess the answer is NO. It won't reach.:confused:
So you go and buy yourself some standard of-the-shelf extension cord to add ot it. There is no magic in this charging cord except for that Tesla plug on one side and some inteligence in that box to tell the car what are the limits.

What makes it cost $100 / foot !??!?!?!?!?
Inteligence in that box and Tesla plug.

Yeah but no forethought on trying to make it a useable length ?!?! Come on this is a $100,000 car and it should come with what it needs. And why gouge people with $100 / foot cost !?!?!?! Come on ....
If this Tesla cord was only 5 feet long then it would cost $300 / foot.
Adding length means reducing its "handling ease". Ever got into solving a "100-feet-cord-knot"? Obviously they've decided 15 feet should be enough for most users. That's 5 meters, most garages are not that wide even.

OH come on .... there is not that much in that box to make it sooooooo absorbidently expensive. And I would think that 2 ft down the side of the car and 20 across a double car garage and 1 foot up to the outlet and some to go around the back of the car would yield a 25 ft cable that certainly would not be too unwieldy to be used. And as you metion it is not the cable that is expensive it is the box ..... all I am saying is that it was a little short sighted....no pun intended ....