Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging While Working Remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am going to start working 100% remotely which will greatly cut down on the amount of days that I am driving my Model 3. There will likely be multiple days in a row that I don't even use it. Should I continue to leave the car plugged in all of the time (like I do now)?

I work from home and only use my Model 3 on the weekend. I set my charge level to 80% during the week and bump it to 90% if we are doing a Saturday roadtrip. My M3 is always plugged in. When it's full in the summer it's not pulling anything most of the time, it must turn on for a minute or so every now and then to account for phantom drain but that's not significant, so for all practical purposes that's the same as not having it plugged in.
Having it plugged in all the time is a convenience , when we have a weekend trip I can just bump the level up from the app without having to go outside.
In the winter having it plugged in is much more important, it has to keep the battery comfortable and that takes power. You can also precondition the car before going outside, that not only warms up the car for the passenger but it also keeps the side windows from sticking and melts the ice in the windshield.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
I'd probably leave it a little lower (50-60 %) and then charge it up some before you go out on a drive. ie: charge it up to 70% for a drive around town, get back home at 55%, set charge to 50%. Let it drain down to 50% and maintain there.

I don't personally like the way the regenerative braking feels when at higher SOC. There may be no difference, but I always miss judge my stopping when above 80% charge and time everything perfectly below that.