Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 220V 13A socket in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"As of February 2014" - at that time, the Tesla model S was available for order, not for sale. It has only been approved by TD recently, so maybe it is time for them to update the list soon?

You could consider almost any 13A socket a "charging point", really, if you are content with 13A. In that case, there are millions of "charging stations" in Hong Kong, although some require quite a long extension chord to reach for an EV!

I failed the chapter in school when we learned about electricity and amperage and how it all works, so forgive me that some of the other threads that discussed this, it went over my head. :redface:

#1) Is the 13A basically the same standard socket you use at home in HK to plug in your phone charger/computer/laptop/Table lamp/vacuum cleaner..etc?
#2) At this time does the Model S have a cord that we can just plug into this 13A if we do encounter one of these charging stations?
#3) Is the problem the 13A is a ridiculously slow way to charge the vehicle and it would take several days not hours to charge the vehicle?

Sorry if those are dumb questions, I just wanted to get caught up since when I read the other charging threads, I find myself a bit behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Done, I've emailed them.

Do they actually respond?

I asked them the same question. The answer was that at that time there were no cars from Tesla currently approved for new sales in Hong Kong. The roadster had been discontinued, and the Model S had not been type approved.

I think they are probably getting fed up with me writing to them :)

Can you / someone write to ev (at) epd (dot) gov (dot) hk and let them know the Model S is now (presumably) type approved and available for sale? Perhaps they can update the list given how important this vehicle is for Hong Kong.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the referred list is 'public charging stations'.

I failed the chapter in school when we learned about electricity and amperage and how it all works, so forgive me that some of the other threads that discussed this, it went over my head. :redface:

#1) Is the 13A basically the same standard socket you use at home in HK to plug in your phone charger/computer/laptop/Table lamp/vacuum cleaner..etc?
#2) At this time does the Model S have a cord that we can just plug into this 13A if we do encounter one of these charging stations?
#3) Is the problem the 13A is a ridiculously slow way to charge the vehicle and it would take several days not hours to charge the vehicle?

#1) Same socket.
#2) No, at launch we have been told that Tesla will not be providing such an adaptor. There are adaptors available from other suppliers (Mennekes, BMW, etc), and there are rumors that Tesla will offer one of these at some later point in time.
#3) The problem is that the socket (and wiring behind it) is really designed for running your computer/laptop/phone/lamp/vacuum/etc for short periods at relatively low power, and not for 10+ hours of charging an EV at full rated power. The socket supposedly gets hot and suffers long-term damage. The concern is it may be a fire risks.

IDone, I've emailed them.

Do they actually respond?

Yes.

#1) Same socket.
#2) No, at launch we have been told that Tesla will not be providing such an adaptor. There are adaptors available from other suppliers (Mennekes, BMW, etc), and there are rumors that Tesla will offer one of these at some later point in time.
#3) The problem is that the socket (and wiring behind it) is really designed for running your computer/laptop/phone/lamp/vacuum/etc for short periods at relatively low power, and not for 10+ hours of charging an EV at full rated power. The socket supposedly gets hot and suffers long-term damage. The concern is it may be a fire risks.

Yes.

Thanks for the quick version to get me caught up to speed. I need the EV for Dummies guide. :)

sound feel better.don't know why he explain the 13A maybe overheat..???

You can read the other recent threads here, there are several ones about charging. I can sum it up for you:

1) 13A charging is the least efficient, while optimum (lowest losses), are around 30A - 40A charging (based on Roadster data, thank you Mark and Tom).

2) A 13A socket isn't really designed for continuous 100% (13A) draw, especially the cabling behind it might not be up to the task. If you run your toaster or boiler for a few minutes, is not the same if your car is plugged in for many hours continuously.

To be more safe, get a charger with thermal/load protection, as well as dial it down to maybe 10A, but be aware that 10A or 13A are the worst currents to charge at.

If the installation is made very robust and with good cabling, 13A shouldn't be any issue. The problem is that the connector looks like it can be plugged into any standard 220V plug - so if Tesla Motors sell these chargers, there could be a fire somewhere, because someone plugs it into a bad installation.

You can read the other recent threads here, there are several ones about charging. I can sum it up for you:

1) 13A charging is the least efficient, while optimum (lowest losses), are around 30A - 40A charging (based on Roadster data, thank you Mark and Tom).

2) A 13A socket isn't really designed for continuous 100% (13A) draw, especially the cabling behind it might not be up to the task. If you run your toaster or boiler for a few minutes, is not the same if your car is plugged in for many hours continuously.

To be more safe, get a charger with thermal/load protection, as well as dial it down to maybe 10A, but be aware that 10A or 13A are the worst currents to charge at.

If the installation is made very robust and with good cabling, 13A shouldn't be any issue. The problem is that the connector looks like it can be plugged into any standard 220V plug - so if Tesla Motors sell these chargers, there could be a fire somewhere, because someone plugs it into a bad installation.

Hi DITB,

I will depend on the public charging stations with my Model S, so does it mean it is safe charge Model S for 10 or more hours at a 13A EV charge station? This is very critical to me, if the answer is NEGATIVE, I should cancel my order. Kindly advise.

Hi DITB,

I will depend on the public charging stations with my Model S, so does it mean it is safe charge Model S for 10 or more hours at a 13A EV charge station? This is very critical to me, if the answer is NEGATIVE, I should cancel my order. Kindly advise.

Several Roadster owners (and Leafs, iMievs, etc) are doing just that. Set it to 10A if you want be safer. But, Tesla is not currently providing a mobile charger in HK, so you would have to get one elsewhere.

Hi River Leung, and welcome to the forums :)

Do you realize that there will be several free super charging stations in Hong Kong?

You will be able to charge up to full range, in about one hour, or even less, depending your starting and target charge. The locations are not yet decided, as negotiations are ongoing, as far as I know.

Also, it seems around 100 of the existing public 13A chargers will be updated to 32A this year already.

Even if Tesla doesn't supply you with a 13A charger cable, you can buy another brand yourself. Just don't plug it in to outlets which are not made for charging already, but only approved charging stations outlets.

As long as you plug it into an approved charger, and not in any random outlet you can find, then you will be safe.

You can read a lot more about this in the other threads here about charging.

I advise you to call Tesla Motors directly and ask. Don't expect them to guarantee you anything they don't know for sure yet is certain or not.

Enjoy your car!

Last edited:
hi markwj and DITB,

thank a lot for your advice, last night when I learnt they would not support 13A, my heart was really broken, I feel much better now.

Just called Tesla CS, the guy does not know if they will provide 13A cable, he will call me back. Will update here when I have his response.

River,

The key question I would be asking is do you have access to those 13A plugs at home or work? Somewhere where the car will be for 10+ hours during the day/night. If so, then I think the car is workable for you. But, if you are just hoping to go to a shopping centre for a few hours and charge up, I think you will be disappointed. At 10A or 13A, you need a work day or sleep night to get an appreciable range.

hi markwj and DITB,

thank a lot for your advice, last night when I learnt they would not support 13A, my heart was really broken, I feel much better now.

Just called Tesla CS, the guy does not know if they will provide 13A cable, he will call me back. Will update here when I have his response.

One way or the other, rest assured there will be a solution.

Hundreds of cars are already ordered, and coming this summer and fall, and there will be an ever increasing demand for these spots, 13A, 32A or even more. I estimate that in a year from now, there will be more than 1000 Tesla model S cars in Hong Kong, and increasing. Combined with the existing amount of EVs there will be less than one public charger for each EV. There isn't too much about EVs and Tesla at the moment in the press, but that will accelerate over the summer and fall, for sure. Both good and bad press, and no matter how Tesla and the Hong Kong government executes it, there will be negative stories also.

And people believe what they want to believe, so many are convinced that EVs is just another scam or half-worth effort, while it is really a significant improvement. Later, when also buses and even trucks and utility vehicles become electric, it will really impact the air quality.

When the model formerly known as E eventually arrives in Hong Kong (2017, 2018?), then the EV market will really take off, also for less capable (or less enthusiastic!) car owners. The next interesting battle, after installing the infrastructure, is how the FRT exemption will continue after 30th March 2017. The "mfkaE" cheaper version from Tesla could very well arrive around or shortly after that date.

What we really need for the infrastructure is for some land owner or manager, who controls parking spaces in suitable locations, to become a Tesla model S owner - and then offering Tesla to install a supercharger station in that parking lot. The motivation to invest in charging infrastructure is much easier for someone who actually owns or controls a Tesla model S, and especially if it is someone more visionary, who can spot the trends of what is coming, not just what demand was yesterday and last week.

It is no longer a question of if but rather a question of when or even how fast the charging infrastructure is coming.

This has a lot of parallels to mobile phones and cellular networks, you can compare it to the introduction of 3G and LTE, or even smartphones. Infrastructure will be made, mass production of EVs will bring down prices and eventually (hopefully) we will get some wind turbines and solar panels in Hong Kong. Because of regulation and land issues, it should be the government in front of all this, although boost from private investors and demand from consumers sure could help it on the way!

So don't worry about these minor issues. You will need to keep a flexible and open mind, though, and understand this is new technology in Hong Kong, so especially in the beginning there might be some hurdles, just like there are for most other new technologies.

Tesla just replied me, said that they do not provide a 13A cable because they do not recommend that. Yet, they have 13A cable that costs $3000. I think I will take this cable, and charge at 10A. Hope this works for me!
$3,000 HKD is a very reasonable price. In US, we pay over $500 USD for an equivalent J1772 charge cord. The cord you describe will deliver 2.2kW to the car (10A @ 220V) while the "trickle charge" cord that comes with most EVs in US only delivers 1.44kW.

Re. the title of this thread - at least some of the 3rd-party 13A to type2 EVSE that are available have temperature sensing inside the 13A plug for safety. Tesla's UMC doesn't have provision for temperature sensing, so if they had simply designed a 13A 'head' for the european version UMC, then it would have been less safe than these 3rd-party units.

found my car park have this 13A/10A . so i can buy Tesla 13A cable :rolleyes:

IMG_3318.jpg
IMG_3320.jpg