Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with a 10-30 plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there will be times I have to charge from a 10-30 dryer plug.

car will be outside and charger cord will have to be run out of a window.

will this be an issue? Outdoors, in rain, etc.. I hear it’s mentioned that the issue with the old 10-30 is that there is no ground, how does this affect charging?

tk you!

No problem. 10-30's are fine and while they don't technically have a ground, the neutral wire is essentially ground. I'll let the nerds below agonize over the subtleties between neutral and ground but for all you care, they're the same.

If you're running the "charger cord" out the window there's absolutely no problem with rain, etc. But if you're running a 10-30 extension cord out there you should avoid licking the junction in the rain and also be aware that the mobile charger isn't rated for rain.

The one piece of good advice I will give is that junky old dryer outlets might have loose/corroded connections that can overheat under continuous charging loads even if they work perfectly fine for dryers. Check the temperature of the outlet and breaker switch a few times in the first few hours of charging on a new (old) outlet. Tighten up the terminal screws if needed.