Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charleston, SC EV charging Facilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out PlugShare, there are public garages with charging in the downtown area, near several hotels, and just a bit to the west (near 17 & 526) there's a Comfort Suites that offers a 120V outlet (but it's only powered on overnight). I used a combination of the two when I visited this summer -- charged at a garage downtown during the day and at the Comfort Suites overnight -- and had plenty of range to get back to I-95.

Check out PlugShare, there are public garages with charging in the downtown area, near several hotels, and just a bit to the west (near 17 & 526) there's a Comfort Suites that offers a 120V outlet (but it's only powered on overnight). I used a combination of the two when I visited this summer -- charged at a garage downtown during the day and at the Comfort Suites overnight -- and had plenty of range to get back to I-95.

Thanks, I did notice there are a few Plugshare folks very near the motels in Mt Pleasant. They would certainly help avoid a trip via Santee going to and from Florida. The 120 volt overnight charge would work also- if I keep my local driving to a minimum.

Santee is unfortunately a bit out of the way for someone coming from Florida. EV Trip Planner says it'll take ~135 rated miles to drive between the Savannah airport and Mt Pleasant SC (same either direction, based on some guesses I made about speed & weather). So if you charge to 100% in Savannah, you might only need a couple hours at a L2 charger or an overnight charge at 120V to make it back. And of course if you keep your speed down (relatively) on I-95, you'll use even fewer rated miles.

I'd also recommend calling the hotels/motels in Mt Pleasant and simply asking if you could use an outdoor power outlet overnight. I've been successful at several hotels up & down the east coast, and I've added them to PlugShare as a result.

Good luck with your trip! And please let us all know how it goes. :)

I'm going to Beaufort and Charleston next week for my first road trip in my new car! :biggrin:

Questionable section of the route: Santee SC (100%), Charleston Airport pick-up, Beaufort, drop off back at CHS, back to Santee (using back roads Santee/CHS saves 40 RM vs. interstates). I'm not sure if I can plug in at my Beaufort destination, if I can this is easy.

EVTripPlanner says the trip is 214 Rated Miles for an 85D (doesn't give data for 70D) which doesn't leave much buffer or allow for any thrill rides with my friend. I've found 2 possible intermediate stops NW of the airport -- Tanger Outlet (ChargePoint) and Town of Summerville (public).

Any experiences with these chargers or general suggestions? Thanks from the newbie!!

I haven't used those specific Tanger charging stations, but there are very similar charging stations at the Tanger outlets in Rehoboth Beach, DE, and those worked quite well for me. Make sure you have a ChargePoint account/card in advance (even though there's no fee to charge there), and expect to gain 18-20 miles of range per hour of charging. The PlugShare rating of 10 is generally a good sign, and it's fantastic that they have 8 plugs, so I'd expect almost zero probability of all of them being full/ICEd. The biggest downside of charging at Tanger is you could end up spending way more on merchandise than you would have on fuel or electricity. :)
Tanger Outlets Charleston | North Charleston, SC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I couldn't find the Summerville charging station on PlugShare or even in a Google search, so I can't say anything about it.

Depending on how long you're staying in Beaufort, consider bringing your UMC and a high-quality heavy-duty extension cord**, and asking at your destination if there's a 120V outlet you could use. If you plug in overnight you could possibly add 25-40 miles of range while you sleep. (And if it's a hotel or other publicly accessible location that lets you plug in, please consider adding it to PlugShare afterward.)

**Tesla recommends NOT using an extension cord with the UMC, but having one has helped me on multiple occasions.

Enjoy the trip!

I'm going to Beaufort and Charleston next week for my first road trip in my new car! :biggrin:

Questionable section of the route: Santee SC (100%), Charleston Airport pick-up, Beaufort, drop off back at CHS, back to Santee (using back roads Santee/CHS saves 40 RM vs. interstates). I'm not sure if I can plug in at my Beaufort destination, if I can this is easy.

EVTripPlanner says the trip is 214 Rated Miles for an 85D (doesn't give data for 70D) which doesn't leave much buffer or allow for any thrill rides with my friend. I've found 2 possible intermediate stops NW of the airport -- Tanger Outlet (ChargePoint) and Town of Summerville (public).

Any experiences with these chargers or general suggestions? Thanks from the newbie!!

I charged at the Tanger Outlet 10/31/15 in North Charleston. Was the only car there during shopping hours. Eight L2 chargers (about 19 mph) located in the large parking lot behind the stores next to huge, tall flag pole with American flag. Can't miss it. Was convenient for me at time as was staying at hotel nearby with 14 minute walk. You might want to consider contacting one of the Tesla folks listed in PlugShare for a quicker charge. One in Charleston and one in Mt. Pleasant. Both have HPWC's listed at 80amps.

I couldn't find the Summerville charging station on PlugShare or even in a Google search, so I can't say anything about it.

Thanks for your ideas. The Summerville location is on Hwy 17 just east of I-26 by the Courtyard Marriott. I haven't been there, but per PlugShare info the charging speed sounds similar to the Tanger location. Guess it will depend on whether I want to avoid shopping temptations..... I stopped by Tanger the other day to check it out, and it is a very fine choice with plenty of shopping and food nearby.

Found a plug in Beaufort, but will probably still stop at Summerville for a quick look. Stops at Lumberton and Santee on the way down yesterday were efficient, enjoyed a good breakfast at Denny's after not being to one in many years.

I assume this would be for your trip back to NC? There are a few owners with HPWCs in Mount Pleasant if you don't want to go all the way to Beaufort.

I assume this would be for your trip back to NC? There are a few owners with HPWCs in Mount Pleasant if you don't want to go all the way to Beaufort.

Thanks, Beaufort was my destination, and I was able to 110v charge there for ~30 hours up to ~202. They will install an HPWC before mid-January which is my next trip. The mixture of 50-70 mph and city driving from Beaufort to Charleston to Charleston airport to Santee required 158 actual and 172 rated miles, so that trickle charge saved me a lot of time after Charleston. Summerville/N. Charleston would seem to be a good location for a Supercharger.

There seems to be a definite lack of charging options on the coast south of Charleston. I stayed on Kiawah Island last week and had to 110v charge there (I needed about 100 miles of rated range to make it back to the Santee Supercharger). There is a hotel (The Sanctuary) that is listed as a destination charging option - however, when I inquired there, they told me that they charge $22 to use the charger (whether you are an overnight guest or just eating at a restaurant there).

To update this thread, I recently spoke with the valet parking staff at the Sanctuary on Kiawah - he said that there is no longer a $22 fee to use their destination charger if you are dining in the hotel. He did indicate that there would be a fee for overnight charging

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
To update this thread, I recently spoke with the valet parking staff at the Sanctuary on Kiawah - he said that there is no longer a $22 fee to use their destination charger if you are dining in the hotel. He did indicate that there would be a fee for overnight charging

Few days ago I noticed on Plugshare that a CHAdeMO popped up at Brookgreen Town Center 730 Coleman Blvd Mt. Pleasant. Will help me out a lot as I travel to Mt. Pleasant 3-4 times a year.