Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheap Frunk Hooks - Recommended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B3AF0B3C-605E-4A80-B935-4B836A0CBA80.jpeg 3881890A-4563-41B1-BA0C-C197A11139FF.jpeg 75150E17-DFC1-4A80-9FC2-3457125678BC.jpeg Appreciate much discussion on these, but just a quick share on a great pair of frunk hooks I’ve just fitted, for the paltry sum of £5.55 delivered!!! I was tired of my 2020 model having holes, so took a chance on these cheap eBay ones from China. Only took 15 days to arrive and absolutely brilliant for the money, good match, good quality, and highly recommended!

Hooks Clip Bolt Covers Front Trunk Bag Cargo Hooks Cover Fit for Tesla ModelL1R6

Attachments

• 63B4DE96-29AB-4F3B-B4B8-8A51DE1689C7.jpeg
    63B4DE96-29AB-4F3B-B4B8-8A51DE1689C7.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 3518162B-7DAE-4795-8CEA-C5720AA95B04.jpeg
    3518162B-7DAE-4795-8CEA-C5720AA95B04.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 67
Tl;dr - the ‘eBay’ clone frunk hooks are pretty much identical to the OEM Tesla ones.

For reasons too complicated to explain, I have two sets of frunk hooks - a pair of the cheap clones from eBay and an OEM Tesla pair. Here is a comparison:

Shape and fit: the two are pretty much identical. The only difference (other than the Tesla manufacturer markings) is the clones have a slight indentation at the top of the ‘hook’ part (see picture 3). The Tesla ‘hooks’ fits perfectly onto the clone ‘bases’ and vice versa.

Materials: The Tesla ones are labelled >PP-GF20<, which Google tells me is Polypropylene with 20% glass fibre. The clone ones don’t have any markings (other than L and R), but they seem to be invariably advertised as being made from ABS.

Colour/texture: the difference in materials probably accounts for a slight difference in colour (the clone ones are a bit more charcoal) and texture (the Tesla ones are a bit shinier). The Tesla ones match (colour and texture) the Frunk liner a bit better, presumably as they are made from the same or similar material? The mouldings on the Tesla ones are also a bit sharper (e.g. see the three bar logo in the first picture).

Operation: The Tesla ones are a bit ‘stiffer’ to operate i.e. they need a bit more effort to open/close. I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing - they seem to latch open/closed a bit more ‘positively’.

In summary, the clone frunk hooks are pretty much identical to the Tesla ones. Here are some photos - the Tesla ones are on the left.

FH-front.jpg

FH-side.jpg

FH-top.jpg

FH-bottom.jpg

I have fitted the OEM Tesla ones to my M3.

frunk.jpg

So my cheap frunk hooks arrived today and I am having some trouble installing them. They just don't seem to want to click into place, and when one of them does somewhat click into place (and looks flush with the frunk) it only requires a tiny bit off effort to dislodge it (so would be no good to hold onto a grocery bag).

Anyone who has installed them have any advice? Should I exercise a bit more brute force?

So my cheap frunk hooks arrived today and I am having some trouble installing them. They just don't seem to want to click into place, and when one of them does somewhat click into place (and looks flush with the frunk) it only requires a tiny bit off effort to dislodge it (so would be no good to hold onto a grocery bag).

Anyone who has installed them have any advice? Should I exercise a bit more brute force?

Daft question - you did remove the M6 (10mm hex head) screw first, and then screwed this back in once the hook was in place? Edit - this photo shows the screw
Frunk-hook-screw.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hingus2000