Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Charging Equipment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t find any answers about this online, so posting here.

I just started supercharging at 15%. Nobody sharing the stall - I’m on A and B is empty. Quickly the charge rate went to 146kW, and sat there for a while. After a couple minutes I heard a big bang like someone striking the rear of the car, the car stopped charging, and the following message appeared:

Unable to charge
Check charging equipment

After a couple seconds it figured itself out and started charging again. But only seconds later the same thing happened again (by this point someone plugged into the B stall). I unplugged and re-plugged in the supercharger and now I’m charging at 36kW.

Freaky experience! Glad I stayed with the car instead of shopping. On hold with tesla support to see if they can see anything wrong with the supercharger itself.

I couldn’t find any answers about this online, so posting here.

I just started supercharging at 15%. Nobody sharing the stall - I’m on A and B is empty. Quickly the charge rate went to 146kW, and sat there for a while. After a couple minutes I heard a big bang like someone striking the rear of the car, the car stopped charging, and the following message appeared:

Unable to charge
Check charging equipment

After a couple seconds it figured itself out and started charging again. But only seconds later the same thing happened again (by this point someone plugged into the B stall). I unplugged and re-plugged in the supercharger and now I’m charging at 36kW.

Freaky experience! Glad I stayed with the car instead of shopping. On hold with tesla support to see if they can see anything wrong with the supercharger itself.

Bangs during supercharging are common. It is some part of the battery expanding / contracting.

It is possible you heard the bang once and then while you were messing with things it cooled back down. Then once charging again it may have heated back up and caused the bang again.

It may just be a faulty supercharger and nothing to do with your car...

Good luck! Please report back!

Oh totally, I'm accustomed to those. This one was so different, as if it came from the charging port itself.

Hrm. Weird. Report it and please report back on the resolution! I am curious. Hopefully they will have useful logs.

I wonder if you heard some kind of arc flashover event (short in the HV system?). Other than the supercharger cabinet electronics exploding outside the car, I am not sure what would make that noise. Or perhaps the "pyro" fuses blowing as a failsafe, but in that case your car is a pumpkin and won't drive, so thats not it.