Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for travel in France - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an aside, I’ve just picked up that there is a new 20 space SC location in Northern France which might be convenient for those taking the A16 south (rather than A26) from Calais.

It’s at a large Auchan supermarket just a couple of Km off the autoroute in Boulogne.

It was only a few months ago since they added a SC in Le Touquet - which is less than 40km down the road.

The area was not well served for EV charging until these initiatives by Tesla.

As an aside, I’ve just picked up that there is a new 20 space SC location in Northern France which might be convenient for those taking the A16 south (rather than A26) from Calais.

It’s at a large Auchan supermarket just a couple of Km off the autoroute in Boulogne.

It was only a few months ago since they added a SC in Le Touquet - which is less than 40km down the road.

this one

Reactions: Doudeau

The Auchan supermarkets at Noyelles-Godault, Saint-Quentin and Avignon were really good stops along the round to Marseille
You've got a large number of chargers, and something to do for 30-60 minutes while you charge. On the way down, just general food shopping. On the way back, selecting some goodies to bring home with us. Most also have food places in the surrounding area.
We found the wine selection wasn't as good as E.Leclerc, but other than that, they're great pitstops

this one
PXL_20230806_112643691.jpg

Anyone know what app aldi in France uses for their ev chargers? Also I just ordered the crit'air sticker but won't arrive in time, didn't realise a bunch of new places were added last month, I've literally planned this trip this weekend so not sure it would arrived before this weekend. Are they able to provide a temp one, also are they really enforced? Can't believe we cant just buy one over there. Thanks

Anyone know what app aldi in France uses for their ev chargers? Also I just ordered the crit'air sticker but won't arrive in time, didn't realise a bunch of new places were added last month, I've literally planned this trip this weekend so not sure it would arrived before this weekend. Are they able to provide a temp one, also are they really enforced? Can't believe we cant just buy one over there. Thanks
The second confirmation email with the pdf sticker at the bottom is enough of a proof in the unlikely event you get stopped.
But really it’s not really enforced, at least in Paris, especially when you are driving a Tesla which is obviously LEZ compliant. A 20y old diesel Ford with a trail of black fumes would attract more scrutiny of course.
Common sense prevails.

Reactions: lusitano
It's manually controlled. A colleague from France said it would be an incredibly miserable controller who stops a Tesla, but UK plates might make it a bit more likely if they want some easy fines. Common sense generally prevails
The PDF proof should be fine if you get stopped

The Crit'air vignette is designed to be read by cameras which will be mounted in the affected cities. They are not there yet and not expected until late 2023 in Paris and at least the second quarter of 2024 in other cities affected. If you have actually applied for the vignette and drive an electric car, it is highly unlikely a manual inspection will be made. As previously stated, you should get a document which you can keep in your car. I have been driving pretty much weekly in one of the affected cities for a couple of years now and have never seen any form of policing - although I would say, I do see more and more vignettes in cars.

For the price, it's a cheap way of doing your bit for the local environment and if anyone else is going to apply, this is the ONLY official website from which to buy. All the others you might find from a search are scam sites. Le site officiel de la vignette Crit'Air (certificat qualité de l'air) - Ministère de la Transition écologique

For the price, it's a cheap way of doing your bit for the local environment and if anyone else is going to apply, this is the ONLY official website from which to buy. All the others you might find from a search are scam sites. Le site officiel de la vignette Crit'Air (certificat qualité de l'air) - Ministère de la Transition écologique
Well, the purchase of my car was my contribution for the environment.

Buying a government mandated sticker, even at less than 5quid, isn’t doing much for it, except cutting trees and putting diesel trucks on the road to dispatch the letters…

Also I very highly doubt that it is technically possible for the stamp-sized qr code to be able to be read automatically, even if they spend dozen of millions in high res cameras all across cities.

They’ve talked about automating this for years, not a solution in sight yet. Actually I believe they realised that it cannot be done, and they have to roll back to an ANPR system that will be crossed with the local vehicle emissions database,just like the ULEZ zone in London, which will essentially render the CritAir sticker useless.
But the government will thanks the millions who essentially donated 4 euros for a glorified sticker.

It’s an unjustified tax to prove you are already compliant….

Imagine the outrage if this was done here for a ULEZ sticker….

Last edited: