Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for travel in France - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We head off down through France in five weeks time so I'm busy pulling together things we may need to ensure we have some contingency if anything goes wrong. Also for charging outside of the supercharger network. Hopefully none of this is needed and we even have desination charging where we're headed; but you never know.

We're headed off to Perpignan down in the south of France. This is what I'm planning to pull together but grateful for any thoughts as to bits I've missed please. Car is an M3P but we'll be keeping 18" CrossClimates on for a bit of extra resiliance to pot holes etc.

Charging
  • extension cable, dry box and adaptor, likely from Tough Leads or similar
  • apps/cards for third-party chargers - I still need to research what's available down there but apparently it's quite good. Any suggestions for other "must have" charging networks appreciated please
Motorway tolls
  • I plan to get one of the tags which allows toll pass-through and charges your bankc account - is there a preferred one please?
Kit for the car
  • the regulation yellow vests and warning triangle(s)
  • I have old breathalyser kits but apparently these are no longer needed in France?
  • jacking pucks
  • puncture repair plugs and inflator
  • small tool kit
  • spare screen wash - the reservoir is quite small so will need topped up
  • the usual gloves and disposable overalls etc
I don't have space for a spare wheel, jack or torque wrench so we'll have to rely on roadside assistance (booked) - the jacking pucks are there in case they're needed by third-parties (hopefully not!)

I'll also be checking the usual insurances etc. I have plates with a GB sign but with the EU stuff there - anything need to change please?

Headlights - I used to stick beam deflectors on older cars but I think I saw that the M3 doesn't need this. Is that actually correct please?

That's my basic check-list so far but really grateful to know if there are any glaring omissions. I'm starting to buy various bits and pieces today to make sure I don't run out of time. Who knows, it may be futile if we get locked-down again, but hopefully not.

Cheers

Reactions: M3noob
16A commando adaptor for the UMC charger - pretty common “camping” outlet in France I think ?
Ah good shout. We are in accommodation that has some adjacent facilities for touring caravans and the like. Would that device potentially allow you to plug in to the services that are often available on those plots? I suspect you'd need to pay but it's maybe another option

Great post, you beat me to it! I was going to ask similar questions for up to date tips and gotchas for using the Eurotunnel and driving through France, Italy and Switzerland in a 2019 pre-Raven MS 100D, especially charging outside of the Tesla Supercharger network though I'm trying to stay at places where charging is available.

Great post, you beat me to it! I was going to ask similar questions for up to date tips and gotchas for using the Eurotunnel and driving through France, Italy and Switzerland in a 2019 pre-Raven MS 100D, especially charging outside of the Tesla Supercharger network though I'm trying to stay at places where charging is available.
Yes, this is our first long journey in the Tesla so keen to cover as many eventualities as possible without going OTT. For the tunnel, basically they identify your car as a Tesla when you book and reserve you on one of the wider carriages, single deck I think. That should prevent you re-arranging your alloys on the narrow double-deck carriages! There are also chargers on both sides which will feature in our itinerary. Then we head off and stay in Burgundy first night before the second jaunt down to Perpignan

In Perpignan, the Villa Dufort is excellent for accommodation and victuals. Destination charger. They will evict noisome ICEers.

Just a way down the road in Banyuls is the Hotel Les Elmes. Good room with sea view and v good food. Destination charger and private parking.

Lots of wine degustation around Banyuls. If only FSD relieved one of driving responsibilities ;-)

In Perpignan, the Villa Dufort is excellent for accommodation and victuals. Destination charger. They will evict noisome ICEers.

Just a way down the road in Banyuls is the Hotel Les Elmes. Good room with sea view and v good food. Destination charger and private parking.

Lots of wine degustation around Banyuls. If only FSD relieved one of driving responsibilities ;-)
Ah, some very useful insider knowledge there! As a lover of red wine (and food) I will very likely check those out and grab some electrons at the same time - excellent, thanks!

Ah, some very useful insider knowledge there! As a lover of red wine (and food) I will very likely check those out and grab some electrons at the same time - excellent, thanks!

About 50 miles south of the border (when open) there is a Destination Charger at the Terra Remota winery. They do a nice woodland picnic basket as well as organic wine.

I'm planning the same down to Hautefort in the Dordogne in early September.

I've got all the car safety kit from previous trips, but no spare bulbs as yet - any advice on that?
Got a puncture repair kit and tyre inflater.

As we're staying in a gîte I've ordered a Schuko adapter and extension lead from Tough Leads (the Modul EV system) to go with the 16A Commando adaptor for the UMC. Also, have Chargemap pass and app, Plugsurfing app and Maingau card and app (for Ionity). There seem to be quiet a few chargers that are accessible from the Shell Recharge (was New Motion) app and card too.
I'm relying on SuC on the way down as there seem to be quite a few Autoroute chargers not working. (In fact, the Dordogne area in France seems to have a lot of local chargers down at the moment :( ).

Not sure I can be bothered with the tag for Autoroute tolls. We only use the Autoroutes there and back and the extra expense doesn't seem the occasional wait at the toll stations.

I think you're right about headlamp deflectors, there was another post about these on a Facebook forum advising not necessary, something about flat beams?

About 50 miles south of the border (when open) there is a Destination Charger at the Terra Remota winery. They do a nice woodland picnic basket as well as organic wine.
Great, another good reference. We're keeping the situation in northern Spain under review but that also looks well worth a visit. We spent last year in Bolgheri in Italy spending far too much on their excellent wines - any excuse and I'll be sampling :)

I'm planning the same down to Hautefort in the Dordogne in early September.

I've got all the car safety kit from previous trips, but no spare bulbs as yet - any advice on that?
Got a puncture repair kit and tyre inflater.

As we're staying in a gîte I've ordered a Schuko adapter and extension lead from Tough Leads (the Modul EV system) to go with the 16A Commando adaptor for the UMC. Also, have Chargemap pass and app, Plugsurfing app and Maingau card and app (for Ionity). There seem to be quiet a few chargers that are accessible from the Shell Recharge (was New Motion) app and card too.
I'm relying on SuC on the way down as there seem to be quite a few Autoroute chargers not working. (In fact, the Dordogne area in France seems to have a lot of local chargers down at the moment :( ).

Not sure I can be bothered with the tag for Autoroute tolls. We only use the Autoroutes there and back and the extra expense doesn't seem the occasional wait at the toll stations.

I think you're right about headlamp deflectors, there was another post about these on a Facebook forum advising not necessary, something about flat beams?
Good shout on the bulbs, I'd forgotten that. The French are apparently quite hot on it but I've seen people suggest any old bulb box appropriately marked up will usually do the trick. Like you, my plan will be to use the SuC as much as possible, together with some destination charging. The leads I've just bought should also let me add a few miles from domestic connections. I'm not averse to dangling the cable out of a window if I can get away with it and it's IP64 rated.

I'm away to look at those charge cards and apps now, cheers!

Good shout on the bulbs, I'd forgotten that. The French are apparently quite hot on it but I've seen people suggest any old bulb box appropriately marked up will usually do the trick.

I'm away to look at those charge cards and apps now, cheers!

Cheers.

I've been driving to France for over 10 years and not been stopped once but it's wise to be on the safe side.

Enjoy your trip

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Just added the Schuko 16A Type 2 UMC adaptor from Tough Leads to my order to be sure. Only another £18 ish. The cable on the UMC is actually reasonably long so not bothering with an extension for this. Also just realised that the 16A commando connector provided with the Tesla kit plugs directly into the 16A sockets which are apparently quite common at camp sites and marinas in Europe. So I figure with that lot, SuC, destination chargers and a few apps/cards for third-party chargers, we should be good to go. Here's betting I don't use any of it :)

The toll tag is magnificent to have and doesn't cost the earth. If you are travelling the length of France and so will hit about 8 tollbooths they are almost essential.
Nowadays most of the tollbooths have toll tag lanes where you don't even have to come to a complete halt - just slow to about 30kph.
It really does make a difference. My wife had a habit of nodding off just as we approached a toll and I had the unpleasant task of waking her up to pay the toll. Now she just complains about the loud beep it makes when we go through. In the summer when the queues at the tolls are 15 - 20 mins long it's a joy to leave the riff-raff behind!

Reactions: Zigway