Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cheyenne, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there is not a Lusk, WY thread, I figure this is the best place to ask: does anyone have any information on Lusk? Will anyone be in the area to take a picture?

Lusk is a long way from anywhere, 147 miles from the Supercharger site in Cheyenne and 151 from Rapid City. Lusk is not too big either. From Lusk, Wyoming - Wikipedia:
The population was 1,567 at the 2010 census. The town of Lusk is known for being the county seat of the least populated county in the least populated state in the US. In comparison, the county is approximately twice the size of the state of Rhode Island, with only 1/500 of the population.

BJ's Campground, an RV Park, is a few blocks away. Given how remote and small Lusk is, if I were Tesla, I'd make a deal with some place in town to put a full power HPWC as a backup, or as others have suggested, be Roadster friendly and put in a high power J1772. I don't think there will be too many Leaf's poaching a free J1772 in Lusk for a while. :wink:

From http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Wy_niobrara2.jpg/800px-Wy_niobrara2.jpg:
800px-Wy_niobrara2.jpg

Lusk is a long way from anywhere, 147 miles from the Supercharger site in Cheyenne and 151 from Rapid City. Lusk is not too big either. From Lusk, Wyoming - Wikipedia:
The population was 1,567 at the 2010 census. The town of Lusk is known for being the county seat of the least populated county in the least populated state in the US. In comparison, the county is approximately twice the size of the state of Rhode Island, with only 1/500 of the population.

BJ's Campground, an RV Park, is a few blocks away. Given how remote and small Lusk is, if I were Tesla, I'd make a deal with some place in town to put a full power HPWC as a backup, or as others have suggested, be Roadster friendly and put in a high power J1772. I don't think there will be too many Leaf's poaching a free J1772 in Lusk for a while. :wink:

From http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Wy_niobrara2.jpg/800px-Wy_niobrara2.jpg:
View attachment 37911

Thanks! I'll call over to America's Best Value Inn and see if they have any information.

Update: spoke with Sarah at the front desk. Construction crew is currently working on it. Should be completed by December 18th.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll call over to America's Best Value Inn and see if they have any information.

Update: spoke with Sarah at the front desk. Construction crew is currently working on it. Should be completed by December 18th.

That's less than a week away! Pretty amazing! Cheyenne can't be far behind! :biggrin:

I will be in the Front Range over the holidays. With Mt Rushmore open every day except Christmas Day, it may be time to organize a Front Range Tesla owner's Supercharger tour up to Rapid City and back! Probably an overnight in Rapid City...Boulder, CO to 2200 N Maple Ave, Rapid City, SD 57701 - Google Maps

That's less than a week away! Pretty amazing! Cheyenne can't be far behind! :biggrin:

I will be in the Front Range over the holidays. With Mt Rushmore open every day except Christmas Day, it may be time to organize a Front Range Tesla owner's Supercharger tour up to Rapid City and back! Probably an overnight in Rapid City...Boulder, CO to 2200 N Maple Ave, Rapid City, SD 57701 - Google Maps

It's reasonable to believe the construction is scheduled for an 18th completion. However, receiving the final utility approval is another story or hookup is a separate issue. Apparently the Vacaville, CA Super Charging has been completed for several days (a couple weeks?) and is waiting for PG&E utility to hook it up.

It's reasonable to believe the construction is scheduled for an 18th completion. However, receiving the final utility approval is another story or hookup is a separate issue. Apparently the Vacaville, CA Super Charging has been completed for several days (a couple weeks?) and is waiting for PG&E utility to hook it up.
But of course Vacaville is in the PG&E area, and so fogettaboutit.

I stopped by the Cheyenne Supercharger today... Only thing missing are the electrons.... A very sad error message came on my screen asking to check the power source. The charger engaged and disengaged. Only blinking blue at the charge port. Any day now...
IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 406
I stopped by the Cheyenne Supercharger today... Only thing missing are the electrons.... A very sad error message came on my screen asking to check the power source. The charger engaged and disengaged. Only blinking blue at the charge port. Any day now...

Boy, head in diagonal parking. That will be interesting for the snow plows... :wink:

Looks like its getting close to the time for a Colorado MS road trip.

How about the weekend between Christmas and New Year's? Should we do a marathon day to Lusk and back, or an overnight in Rapid City with a photo op in front of Mt Rushmore? :cool:

So the wands are energized? I.e., could you open your charge port with the button on the wand?

View attachment 38634

It seems that there might be a missing piece of equipment: the site transformer (big green box).
The three or four big conduit stub-ups to the foreground and left of the Supercharger enclosure will probably be at the base inside the transformer, sitting on a concrete pad.

Those transformers typically are provided by the local power company.

It seems that there might be a missing piece of equipment: the site transformer (big green box).
The three or four big conduit stub-ups to the foreground and left of the Supercharger enclosure will probably be at the base inside the transformer, sitting on a concrete pad.

Those transformers typically are provided by the local power company.

I think that you are correct, and typically the local power company expects the customer/contractor to install the conduit from their source of HV power to the transformer location along with the conduit from the transformer to the customer service entrance. Also, the concrete pad is usually just a piece of precast concrete. If both of those assumptions are true, when the power company line folks arrive it could only take a day or so to install the transformer and make the final connections.