Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicken out trying auto park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a parking garage yesterday and thought I would try auto park, something I have not done since owning the car for around 6 weeks. It took awhile for the car to identify a spot that was eligible for auto park. The P finally showed up and I started the parking procedure. I chickened out when it looked like it was a couple inches away from hitting one of the cars as it backed in. I found another spot and tried again and had similar results, it just seemed like it was going to hit a car.

Is it normal for the M3 to cut it razor tight in clearance when executing auto park?

I am too chicken to use it, but I have seen enough "autopark hit something" threads that I would never assume the car has got it if you are uncomfortable with the maneuver. Especially in a parking garage which may have posts and hard corners places the car may not see.

I am assuming the new firmware (2019.20 it seems) that includes Enhanced Summon will also include Autopark that uses the cameras and not just the ultrasonics like the current version uses. Anyone know one way or the other? With any luck, Autopark that also uses the cameras will be better at spotting and avoiding obstacles. Presumably, as new neural nets for HW3 roll out and improve over time, the car will get better at being aware of its surroundings. I'm guessing that ultimately, HW3 cars will be better at this than HW2.x.

I've used it 100's of times, never had any issues. It's gotten a bit close on several occasions, but nothing that made me abort.
Just curious, brother. I see you live in Tenn. In the Mainland, most areas have pretty wide parking spots. Here in HI, not so much. In fact, they are downright narrow, space being a premium here. So, you have "healthy" parking slots?

I've never heard of the car backing into another car. The ultrasonics should handle that. I'm more worried about grinding a rim on the curb.

Though I saw Trevor from M3Owners had a good tip -- Make a "Parking" profile with both side mirrors aimed all the way down, so you can see both wheels.