Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child seat pushing against front seat??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there a sensor that will prevent a front facing child seat in the second row from pushing up against the back of the front seat? I am concerned that a child's legs would get crushed if the second row was accidentally slide forward while a child was strapped in. Is this a legitimate concern?

I just tested this on my drivers side rear seat. There are two controls that move the seat forwards and back, the seat adjustment control on lower part of the seat and the third-row-entry control on the rear of the seat. The seat adjustment control will only allow the seat to move forward a small distance, and doesn't get any closer to the front drivers seat than 8-10 inches, depending on how far back the drivers seat is. The third-row-entry control slides the second row seat all the way forward so the seat is touching the drivers seat, and will definitely crush legs. As such, and probably described in the user manual, there shouldn't be an occupant in the seat if access to the third row is desired. Although the front seats move up a bit when the third-row-access is initiated, it's not enough to allow space for legs. If you want to take the risk you could manually control the sliding of the second row for third row access, and stop the movement before it crushes legs, but it's not part of the more automatic entry procedure.

That seems crazy dangerous to me. What if someone is in the third seat and is "playing with the buttons" and it starts to move the second seat forward while a child is in the seat?? I have a 3 year old in the second row child seat. This week I had my 12 year old nephew in the third row seat. What if he started to hit buttons?? It could have really hurt the child in the second row. Am I being paranoid or is this a real concern?!

There might be a different behavior if the seats detect an occupant. I'm not sure if this is accomplished via seatbelt sensors or seat pressure but our forward facing seats are installed via latch and tether without shoulder belts and the climate control doesn't detect my two year olds when they're strapped in. If the seats detect an occupant, the seats might not slide fowards as much, but I can't confirm this without removing the seats, which I can't do right now. Next time you have your 3 year old strapped in, look at your rear climate control screen and it's on "auto" see if it detects an occupant. I'm betting the second row movement is limited or locked if there's an occupant detected.

I recall the manual also saying that the seat will stop if it detects obstruction (my car seats rub up against the backs of the front seats, but not hard). This begs the question: how much pressure does it take to stop the seat from moving, and would it be sensitive enough not to crush some legs in the process? I'm pretty sure it would stop, but have not attempted to test it.

The seat will move forward if the easy access buttons are pressed and there's a child seat in the second row. The seat will move forward until it touches front seat back, may also pinch child's legs if they are still in child seat, how hard it pinches depends on how far forward front seat is. IMHO, seat movement algorithms need to be reworked. More real world data needs to be collected. Tesla gets some data from these forums but I think they would appreciate the input directly as well.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
I have 3 kids and the sensors don't work well. In the 1st week, my 4 yr old's legs (42-43 lbs) were pinched and she started screaming. I wasn't very happy, but this is a "beta" product. I need to email Tesla that it doesn't work well the sensors. Now, I'm very clear with my kids not to push the 3rd row move button but to hold it down and slowly move it up/back.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
I have 3 kids and the sensors don't work well. In the 1st week, my 4 yr old's legs (42-43 lbs) were pinched and she started screaming. I wasn't very happy, but this is a "beta" product. I need to email Tesla that it doesn't work well the sensors. Now, I'm very clear with my kids not to push the 3rd row move button but to hold it down and slowly move it up/back.
Holding it down is key when there is a child or seat in the second row. Just a tap causes a full range motion in both directions.