Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode Efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that it helps with energy consumption. It re-maps the accelerator pedal to be less aggressive. Unless you are very focused on very slight slow movements with your foot, you will get larger spikes in energy consumption in Sport / Insane / Ludicrous. Over a long trip, those spikes will add-up. Chill mode maps the pedal to be less aggressive, and slower to respond. This in turn reduces one of the largest consumers of energy; which is the time during requesting large amounts of power and when the motor reaches the requested RPM level.

If I understand right even my Pre-approval P85 might have chill with the latest update, it is at service now so I presume it will be the latest when I pick up.
Does it help on an old dinosaur like this?
I don't know what the criteria was for which cars got "Chill Mode" and which didn't. However, my buddy's 2014 P85+ did not get "Chill Mode".

In any case, it will benefit any car it's on, due to the remapping of the accelerator pedal travel output (requires more pedal input to obtain an increase of power output) and response time (gradual power increase, as opposed to instantaneous).

I don't think Chill Mode affects driving under TACC or AP, just the driver's response. I never drive any long distances without those aids, so it would not help me much.

Range mode has little to no difference on range anymore. There is some slight gain from reducing climate control power and battery temperature maintenance. Personally, it is not worth it to me to change away from the temperature algorithms designed for long battery life for a couple of miles of additional range. Slowing down just one MPH increases range more than Range Mode, in my opinion.

The road trip difference with chill mode is darn near negligible. I would venture to say not even measurable. In. 10 hour drive the car may spend a total of 5 minutes actually accelerating from a stop. And if you push the pedal a bit more because your used to getting up to speed at a Normal rate for you, then it’s using the same energy anyway.
I agree with the other poster, drop your speed 1-2 mph and you will get a much better savings on energy over a long drive.
And most likely arrive only 15 minutes later on an 800 mile trip.

This has been my experience

I agree with the above 2 posts. Slowing down just a bit will have, by far, the largest energy impact.
Although I haven’t used Chill Mode in a while, when it was first introduced for my MS it definitely did affect TACC/AP behavior. The car accelerated more like how a normal person would drive. I quickly found that I always wanted the lightning fast throttle response in case of emergencies so I stopped using it. That coupled with the negligible energy savings made it a no-brainer.
I would only consider Chill if, for some reason, someone unfamiliar with Teslas needed to drive my car. I hate valet parking this car.

Last edited:
Reactions: quickstrike12