Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill vs Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Performance Model Y has the options Chill and Sport. I assume Sport replaced Standard because it's a Performance model. But I've been using Chill along with 18" wheel setup to increase the range in this car and it seems to be working. It's probably more a factor of the smaller and lighter wheels than using Chill mode, so I'll be changing it back to Sport mode to see.

Not clear why the last comment garnered a 'dislike' from @Resist . I kinda hate chill mode, and have enough control over my right foot to have effective-chill mode when I want it, whilst also having gobs of acceleration when I >need<it. Note the latter is seldom needed, but I'd feel like such a wanker if I got in an accident because I bought this racecar and then set it in chill mode(props to Guenther Steiner for bringing wanker into the American lexicon, BTW!)

Does chill mode just retard the reaction somewhat if you have a bit of a leadfoot and make it smoother?

If you really romp on it is it truly slower?
It dampens throttle input so it’s slower to react to your foot and total power is also reduced. 0-60 is about 7-7.5 seconds even if you floor it. That 0-60 is also consistent between models from Model Y RWD to Model S Plaid and everything in between.

Reactions: Royal27
It's an acceleration mode, not an energy consumption mode, so I don't think so. What Tesla did say is that it might conserve additional energy because it can keep the battery at a lower temp (in winter), scavenging more of its energy to heat the cabin. High power requires a warm battery but when you're limited to 200hp the battery doesn't need to be as warm. A side effect of requiring less energy... That's for 2021+ models with heatpump...

I have not driven a Honda in 20 years. Back then some of them were pretty racy. I think that would suffice for most on duty driving.

The app says my car is on a go slow to me...

How hard is it to toggle off the chill if you happen to anticipate needing a short dose of full noise?
Tesla “Chill Mode”: 6 Typical Questions (Explained) | Motor & Wheels suggests around 7 seconds for a 0-60 in chill mode. Its plenty for normal driving. At the same time, a 100hp car is also plenty for normal driving, but even slower.

Its not hard to toggle(open driving menu, press 'standard' or chill). I believe it can even be done while driving(not in P'ark). But sometimes life comes at you fast...

Literally four days ago I was stopped and waiting to turn left into my driveway and as I always do I've got my head mostly looking in my rearview mirror because people are generally dumbasses. Sure enough, the car behind me waits far too long to do anything about my stopped-ness and at the very last moment starts super hard braking and trying to dive around my car. I noped right outta there, and in chill mode there's a nonzero chance he would have still hit me, certainly causing a significant crash and possibly punting me under the passing truck I was waiting for. For that one event, totally out of my control except what I could do with my right foot in under a second, I'm sticking with standard mode and learning to control my right foot.

The difference between chill and standard is considerably smaller on RWD models since there 'standard' 0-60 is much slower. But at the same time, because they are so much less powerful there's even less reason NOT to always drive them in 'standard'. I imagine its far easier to modulate the power when its only 280hp(or whatever) you are trying to rein in, rather than the almost 500hp of a performance.

Last edited:
With my BMW X3, eco-mode is dog slow. I think it limits boost to 4psi. Normal is around 17psi IIRC. I can't tell the difference b/t Chill and Std on RWD MY. I had to open the menu to confirm. But instant torque makes it all better for majority of normal road driving. Highway overtaking is where I feel, it could benefit from more oomph. No gears to drop down.

The difference between chill and standard is considerably smaller on RWD models since there 'standard' 0-60 is much slower. But at the same time, because they are so much less powerful there's even less reason NOT to always drive them in 'standard'.
Tesla never deployed "Chill" mode at all to my 2014 S85, probably for this reason. There's not that much to tone it down from.