Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China is monitoring all EV vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
China itself gives anyone concerned about privacy the creeps. It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to think that China constantly monitors their citizens using any means necessary. This is the same place that will publicly shame you for jay walking. Heck they plan on sending you a push notification WHILE you're jay walking just to let you know you're being watched.

I can't say I'm really all that creeped out the government monitoring of location.

Our position on the roadway is already tracked by our cell phones, and I don't think most of us really know what happens to this data. It's also being tracked by license plate scanners, and I don't think most of us really know how extensive they are.

Looking into the future I see a need for tracking the location of vehicles, pedestrians, and bikers. To have a really effective transportation system means that some centralized computer needs to know where people are coming from, and where they're headed. If they need to stop off for a charge, and for approximately how long. Then when a car is on the road other cars need to know about it. To do nifty things like forming trains of cars to optimize efficiency.

I would expect China to be able to implement those kinds of systems more quickly than the US. Heck they can create an entirely new road way over the weekend.

I see the article as China simply being able to push the needs of the whole over the needs of an individual.

I certainly would't want to live there I got needs. :)

It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to think that China constantly monitors their citizens using any means necessary.

This is not an unreasonable assumption, it is exactly the way it is.

ALPRs are a good example. In my experience, sometimes when driving at night there are so many flashes (as in half a dozen in a minute) you feel like it is party time (and the funny part is that it actually is, but not the party you were thinking about).

Most Chinese people don't mind and are happy to trade that against spectacularly increasing standards of living during the last couple of decades.