Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, bsd. You mean -no limits- in terms of the quantity of the free plates being given by the gov, right?

The paragraph before caught my eyes.
1~4 was talking about the China International industrial fair (CIIF)I believe.
5. was talking about Tesla and how the CIIF is the first time that Tesla is joining. They've already displayed their cars in a previous show in Shanghai in april So the model in CIIF is a completely new one.

4月份在上海上交会上展示过,这次带来的是全新的车型产品。

Some other Native Chinese speaker please confirm that piece of news.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is there a sudden influx of my fellow Canadians to this thread?

Last edited:
5. was talking about Tesla and how the CIIF is the first time that Tesla is joining. They've already displayed their cars in a previous show in Shanghai in april So the model in CIIF is a completely new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming that the auto-translation is close to correct could it just be a confusion about the D? Many people in the US were calling that a "new model" even though it wasn't. Have they shipped a D over to China to show it off and get more orders?

Edit: I would NOT think it would be a REAL new model... expect maybe the prototype Model X... since there is no way China would get the reveal event over that happening in CA first... This is not an american bias here, this is just me stating it because that is where Tesla has always done their reveals, at either the factory or hawthorne. It is the same reason I don't think that Tesla would reveal anything at the Detroit Auto Show... Because it will happen in CA first.

Finally Q3 China import number is out. http://money.163.com/14/1029/13/A9NQ301A00253B0H.html

by September, total imports 3431, minus Q2 # 1543, the Q3 imports = 3431-1543 = 1888.

Not an impressive number though. I guess it's still limited by production constraints. In Q4, hope China/Hongkong/Japan can get 1/3 quota of 14000 production estimates, which is about 4600 in total.

Not nearly as much as I was hoping for. I wonder what the US numbers are going to end up as because of this. Seems like US is going to have to be a rather huge allocation at this point in order to hit the 7800 number. Thanks for this post!

Thanks Causalien for the explanation. @Chicken - guess you're right about the "real" new model theory.

to all - have a look at some prediction for the Hybrid and EV Market in China issued by a consulting company called LMC Automotive yesterday.
Then, the second screen shot shows huge sales numbers in China and it opens the question about the potential demand for Tesla cars.

to recall here - China wants at least to have 5M "green" vehicles driving by 2020.

Attachments

• TSLA News1.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 851
  • TSLA News2.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 837
Yes, it does say "complete new model". But I wouldn't count too much on it because it could be well misleading by the poor knowledge of journalist.

- - - Updated - - -

Today TM China confirmed that this is rumor. The sale through T-mall still alive, those are in stock cars for whatever reasons and people can take delivery in 5 days. If order through TM website, the wait time would be 3-4 months which is reduced from 4-6 months earlier this year.

Tesla US headquarters halts T-mall sales

(ECNS) -- Electric carmaker Tesla has quietly and unilaterally halted its China branch trial to sell Model S vehicles on Alibaba's e-commerce platform T-mall, according to Economic Observer website eeo.com.cn.

http://www.ecns.cn/cns-wire/2014/10-30/140762.shtml

- - - Updated - - -

Research "baorun" (宝润)from google. http://auto.zjol.com.cn/system/2014/08/07/020184972.shtml

It's a 3rd party leasing company specific for Tesla car. The above article says "baorun" ordered 100 Model S per month since May and it leases those cars to customers in 6 chinese cities. If the customers want to own the car, they need to spend extra 90K RMB ($15K) as premium. So I think this is a 3rd party company doing both resale inventory Model S and leasing.

Can someone translate what this is all about (it seems that Tesla Baorun is selling test drives for 50 RMB):

Post on Reddit (includes multiple links)
Link to "Tesla Baorun Rental Stores"
Link to Product Page for Model S
Model S still selling on TMall?

Today TM China confirmed that this is rumor. The sale through T-mall still alive, those are in stock cars for whatever reasons and people can take delivery in 5 days. If order through TM website, the wait time would be 3-4 months which is reduced from 4-6 months earlier this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Research "baorun" (宝润)from google. http://auto.zjol.com.cn/system/2014/08/07/020184972.shtml

It's a 3rd party leasing company specific for Tesla car. The above article says "baorun" ordered 100 Model S per month since May and it leases those cars to customers in 6 chinese cities. If the customers want to own the car, they need to spend extra 90K RMB ($15K) as premium. So I think this is a 3rd party company doing both resale inventory Model S and leasing.

Thanks for the details on both of these. I can't say I am surprised about the guy doing the price hikes and such. I had heard about this happening in some places in Europe as well, where Tesla hadn't really penetrated very well. Hopefully this will be stopped when Tesla gets a decent lease deal going on in China. I only care because it hurts the brand image having 3rd party resellers when that is something Tesla really doesn't want to have happen.

But remember, Tesla cannot stop anyone from doing bulk orders and reselling in the international market.

I know, I am not saying they can "stop" them. They could discourage it though by making it so no one WANTS to go to these third party resellers that price gouge.

If I could walk into a Tesla showroom and buy a car at the Tesla Price and have it delivered to me in less than a month why would I pay an extra 15k going through a third party? I think the Tmall feature will help eliminate a lot of this practice from happening in China and is an interesting way to get around having dealerships and such with their crappy mark-up. I wonder if Tesla will sell here in the US with some kind of pre-built inventory by doing something either on their own website or possibly doing something through like Ebay or some such. Would be an interesting idea!

It sounds like the first draft to China's new energy policy has been released.

A draft that aims to promote new-energy vehicles in China has been released by twelve departments, including the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the Ministry of Environmental Protection, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Public Security, Ministry of Finance and others, Shanghai-based online media outlet the Paper reports.The primary objectives of the draft can be concluded with two "no-less-than 30%" principles. Procurement of new-energy vehicles for public transportation, including buses and taxis, may not be less than 30% from 2015, along with decreasing subsidies for bus fuel and increased subsidies for the operation of new energy buses.
Procurement of new-energy vehicles for official vehicles, including state organs and city governments, may be no less than 30% from 2014 to 2016 and will make up a larger ratio year by year.
Fiscal policies including free parking and exemption from bridge and road tolls were also stated in the draft.
The draft also detailed plans for improved infrastructure. New public parking lots should reserve sufficient space for electric cars and charging stations. Charging posts will be set up in current parking lots, highway toll stations and truck stops.
With more charging stations being set up, standards for electricity pricing and usage of land were among those set out in the draft, the Paper said.

New draft to promote new-energy vehicles in China released|Economy|News|WantChinaTimes.com

Can anyone procure more specifics on what the draft entails?

That's great stuff right there. EVs exempt from tolls, public parking with charging, new charge points, mandatory purchases for government use. So, let me try to guess: will the local party boss be choosing a Kandi or a Tesla?

Streched E-Class or A6 PHEV made by 49% Chinese Company

PHEV fall under these Regulations (New Energy vehicles), most of the public vehicles will be busses, transport vehicles, police etc, the fat cats will be driving thier 50 Kilometer AER German PHEV, without ever seeing any charging

Streched E-Class or A6 PHEV made by 49% Chinese Company

PHEV fall under these Regulations (New Energy vehicles), most of the public vehicles will be busses, transport vehicles, police etc, the fat cats will be driving thier 50 Kilometer AER German PHEV, without ever seeing any charging

I would be surprised if these wealthy Chinese officials settle for anything less than the best...Tesla!
(sorry Germany)

Hey Maoing and native Chinese speakers/residents, could you help clear something up?

I was browsing Mark B Spiegel's twitter (AKA logical thought, the guy who has a hedge fund that is short Tesla) and he re-tweeted a tweet from a guy in Germany with an inverted tesla logo as his profile picture that talked about Xiobian selling the Model S for 740k yuan, which is the same as what Tesla sells it for. The claim is that Tesla is selling the car to re-sellers at a discount. I am skeptical of this.

Here is the Tweet
Here is the Article he links to as his source

So, opinions?

They were fooled by google translation.

"Xiao bian" means editor. The editor came to the auto show, and he was told that MS was sold at 740k yuan. No third party ever mentioned.

LMAO...

Hey Maoing and native Chinese speakers/residents, could you help clear something up?

I was browsing Mark B Spiegel's twitter (AKA logical thought, the guy who has a hedge fund that is short Tesla) and he re-tweeted a tweet from a guy in Germany with an inverted tesla logo as his profile picture that talked about Xiobian selling the Model S for 740k yuan, which is the same as what Tesla sells it for. The claim is that Tesla is selling the car to re-sellers at a discount. I am skeptical of this.

Here is the Tweet
Here is the Article he links to as his source

So, opinions?