Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, there is no mention about "resale" at all in original chinese report. What happens in China today is the super charger stations (27) ranked #2 just next to US and more to come by end of 2014.

They were fooled by google translation.

"Xiao bian" means editor. The editor came to the auto show, and he was told that MS was sold at 740k yuan. No third party ever mentioned.

LMAO...

Contradicting my earlier self -- only if Tesla develops a variant with (vastly) improved rear-seat amenities. The Model S is a driver-centric car, which doesn't make for a great limo.

That is a legit issue for the folks that employ a driver. They are less interested in performance and more in rear-seat comfort and amenities.

I don't think it's a make or break deal for China, I think Tesla can succeed in China, but there's a segment of the population that gets chauffeured everywhere and the rear seats need some improvements to bring them onboard.

I would assume that those who are chauffeured are a small minority of all those who could afford a Tesla.

Definitely a minority, but not sure how small.

This is an interesting article from April:

Not set in stone | CER

Catch us if you can: Audi and Mercedes shift to a higher gear
German businesses like to defy the market. How many times have they outperformed their peers in their core strengths? In March, the China auto market saw sales of passenger vehicles rise 9%, according to the Passenger Car Association. But sales of Audi (NSU.ETR) and Mercedes Benz jumped by more than 30%. These are luxury marques that retail for many times the price of most standard vehicles. So much for the slowdown in the broader economy and cutting back on the purchase of high-profile items in the wake of China’s anti-graft program. Such strong sales last month speak of the “strong model policy” of the automakers in China, Frank Schwope, an analyst with investment bank Nord LB, said on the phone from Germany. German carmakers have been effective at localizing products and creating “car designs fitted the tastes of Chinese car buyers.” Both firms have introduced long-wheelbase variants – more legroom, hence more luxury – of their cars for wealthy Chinese who employ chauffeurs. Schwope doesn’t foresee any challenges to their continued dominance in China’s mid-level luxury car market but major rivals have announced plans to come after them in that segment. If they get enough traction to eat into the sales of the German giants, then that would “figure heavily” in Schwope’s ratings for Audi and Mercedes’ parent Daimler (DAI.ETR).

Again, it is a minority that employ drivers, but in a population of a billion, even if it's only 5% that's still 50 million.

Regarding the T-mall thing... this apparently wasn't sanctioned by Tesla... at all.

John Lovallo - Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Okay. Next question is, you guys have been able to negotiate around using kind of the dealer network, state franchise laws in the U.S. I think your point is well taken, that non-Tesla salespeople might not be qualified to properly promote the brand and so forth. The question is with that in mind, how do you get comfortable with selling vehicles to resellers in China that presumably don't have your best interest in mind or promoting the brand?

Elon Musk
We're not really selling to resellers anywhere in the world. So it may be possible that someone's claiming that they're a reseller of Tesla, this is a false claim.

John Lovallo
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Okay. I'm just saying because when I looked on T-Mall for instance the first two lines of cars or first two rows of cars were actually all resellers or listed as resellers as least.

Elon Musk

Thanks for telling us that. We will make sure that is removed.

Chinese source citing lower demand and resellers selling below MSRP

Speculation: Tesla selling backstock on Singles Day

Again, this conflicts directly with the statement from Elon on the conference call which says that they do not have a "store" on T-mall nor do they have "authorized resellers" in China. So all of this is meaningless to the demand of the Model S in china from the perspective of Tesla Motors. The first sentance is factually false that it invalidates the entire premise of the story:

US electric carmaker Tesla Motor's recent decision to open a flagship online store on Alibaba's e-commerce platform Tmall

It seems pretty straightforward was has happened. Unlicensed traders have been buying cars from Tesla privately with the hope of selling them at a premium because they perceive they have a competitive advantage selling them in China overTesla because of their sales model (on T-Mall instead of Tesla store, direct availability, maybe their willingness to sell a car in a questionable sale, etc). That squares all the facts from the articles (more cars imported than registered; Tesla telling us they are not behind it; ...) Now it seems those traders are caught with their pants down and selling at a loss. It's speculation why they are. Maybe their hoped for competitive advantage didn't materialize, maybe they didn't anticipate Tesla 'outdating' their stock so quickly with new features or maybe demand isn't as high as they hoped for. Or maybe a completely different reason.

Those 18 cars on Tmall are probably a demo ones, need to be replaced with new ones showing next gen seats, autopilot and D.

To restate, according to elon, these cars are NOT from Tesla but some other third party. It would be like going to cars.com or ebay and buying a Tesla. So unless the reseller is trying to dump their inventory for that purpose I wouldn't put too much into it. Either way this makes me happy because I really detest scalpers and I am glad this isn't working out for them. And hey! Maybe a few people actually end up getting a Tesla for cheaper than retail price :D

- - - Updated - - -

This all reminds me of those EU websites that were found showing "new car" inventory of Model S that could be bought in like Germany or some such. Unless you see it on teslamotors.com or ordered your car by calling the actual local Tesla store, they are not actually from Tesla.

"We expect our long-term sales outside of North America will increase to almost half of our worldwide automotive sales."
From Q3 report
Note the "long term"

So what happened to china being biggest market? or the 40% USA 20% EU 40% China thing?

Note Tesla stopped reporting revenues split up by region this report, most likely to avoid any speculations