Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China releases upgraded Model Y (not Juniper)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China just released a new Model Y with some features of the new Model 3:
  • new dashboard with lighting
  • black 19"wheels
  • 0-100km in 5.9s for the standard range RWD

1696124031457.jpeg
1696124055612.jpeg

Same price, official website has been updated.

I don't know if it has HW4 though.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
I've been waiting for this since May... and a couple days ago I went to a Nio store, out of despair.
Now I'm hesitating between the Model Y and the ES6 or EC6, a bit more expensive but seems so much better in every aspect.
Too bad the new Y version doesn't seem to have ventilated seats, I found it to be a very important feature when I tried the Nio.

Tesla releases updated Y in China.

A look at the vehicle’s interior shows that the updated Model Y from Giga Shanghai now features ambient lighting in the form of an LED strip that spans the dashboard. The iconic wood trim on the black interior Model Y dash has also been replaced.

Yuk. I actually really LOVE the wood trim so I'm glad I got my Y when I did. (A little over a week ago)

Reactions: zoomer0056
Last edited:
Reactions: Mike7564
My Thoughts of the updates:
  1. You can the Ambient lighting now from various vendors today
  2. Black Wheel Covers are available today aftermarket with Rim Edge Protection
  3. Fabric style panels will be easier to get dirty and harder to clean
  4. This could only be for China due to Tesla being the #2 Seller and they are looking to attract new buyers. In the US, Tesla is the #1 Seller. Might not to do an need to update for the US Market.
I can be wrong with #4 but I currently love the current interior.

My Thoughts of the updates:
  1. You can the Ambient lighting now from various vendors today
  2. Black Wheel Covers are available today aftermarket with Rim Edge Protection
  3. Fabric style panels will be easier to get dirty and harder to clean
  4. This could only be for China due to Tesla being the #2 Seller and they are looking to attract new buyers. In the US, Tesla is the #1 Seller. Might not to do an need to update for the US Market.
I can be wrong with #4 but I currently love the current interior.
The ambient light im sure will be able to be controlled through the built in screen and not through a cheap remote control...

Reactions: FearL0rd
Bad news, well informed Youtubers such as Ryan Shaw say it's still HW3 on this model.
It's very confusing to have different builds of the same model across the world, is it common in the car industry?

Not really, unless there is some regional regulation that has to be met (note that I am not an auto industry insider or anything, I am just speaking from what I have witnessed over the years).

Most car manufacturers do not change things as often as Tesla does. They normally drive down costs on existing products and make visible changes yearly or less.

• Informative
Reactions: frinkle
The ambient light im sure will be able to be controlled through the built in screen and not through a cheap remote control...
The Chinese version Model Y update has these features, however, the American built version (since May 2023) has hardware 4 and matrix headlamps. The Chinese version does not. I rather like the wood trim, I installed red ambient footwell lamps for the front seats and I have a small "button" USB led lamp on the center council. This is perfect for driving at night. The FSD Beta for the HW4 works well and I experience a significant learning curve by the system on repeated runs of the same city/country route. The matrix headlamps are excellent on dark country roads.