Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing a panel type?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after weeks of impatiently waiting im finally getting details and proposals for my solar install from Tesla. One thing I was hoping someone could make recommendations on is the panel type. In the documentation they gave me they list Q.peak duo blk-g5/sc 310-320 panels. I was told that these panels perform better in warmer climates than others do ( I’m in south Florida).

And suggestions, comments, or recommendations on these? Should I request the Panasonic? This is a big purchase and I want to try to do it right.

Thanks!

I got Panasonic 330W panels through a 3r party installer and love them. Performing amazing in the 97+ degree Philadelphia summer.

There should be easily comparable spec sheets on how these panels perform at certain temps and after a certain amount of years. Mine are guaranteed for parts + labor to perform at 90.8% at 25 years. Warranty quote:

PANASONIC warrants the power output willbe no less than 97% of the designated Maximum Power (Pmax) stated in the product data sheetfor the first yearfrom date of purchase of the Productbythe Customerand the power output degradation will beno more than 0.26% per yearfor the following 24years, so that, at the end of 25thyear,the power output will be at least 90.76% of Pmax.

Pretty sick if you ask me.

The panels themselves don't cost much, so why not buy a high quality US/Tesla made product if you can?

Edit: Also, I think the Panny HIT panels are actually quoted as best in class for heat performance.

I have Panasonic 330 panels and there is a noticeable drop in production on hot days, I would say at least 15%. This is despite the system being overpaneled by 15% which should mitigate the issue somewhat. Having said that production is still way higher than expected so I'm not about to complain. I have 100% unobstructed South facing panels, they get baked!

I have Panasonic 330 panels and there is a noticeable drop in production on hot days, I would say at least 15%. This is despite the system being overpaneled by 15% which should mitigate the issue somewhat. Having said that production is still way higher than expected so I'm not about to complain. I have 100% unobstructed South facing panels, they get baked!

Do you have micro inverters, or a string inverter?

I recently got those panels installed here in AZ and It wasnt worth the added cost to switch to the panasonic ones. The Q ones look better and perfrom better in the heat which was important to me. In terms of warranty it was slightly less but again wasnt worth the added cost to get the panasonic ones.

I’m comparing the spec sheets between the Panasonic and the q cell panels and I’m unable to identify any attributes that would indicate that one is better in hot weather than the other. South Florida has a warm climate but nothing like Phoenix. We usually max out at 93 degrees.

If these are cheaper with similar specs and warranty I’m leaning towards sticking with the q cell.

The specification to look for in respect to panel temperature is called "Temperature Coefficient (Pmax)". Units are %change in power output per degree Cº change in panel temperature. The typical range for Silicon panels are from - 0.2 to -0.5 %/Cº. The smaller the number the, better.